PDA

View Full Version : USB-Imagewriter in 14.04 LTS?

djfake2
May 28th, 2014, 10:56 AM
What happened to USB-Imagewriter in 14.04 LTS? I miss that program, worked like a champ at writing images to USB drives for RaspberryPi, etc.

slickymaster
May 28th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Hi djfake2, welcome to the forums.

There is no current release of USB-Imagewriter in Trusty Tahr. You can still report bugs, make translations, and so on, but they might not be used until the package is published. You have Startup Disk Creator in the repos, which converts a USB key or SD card into a volume from which you can start up and run Ubuntu. You can also store files and settings in any space left over.

mikeyinid
May 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM
What happened to USB-Imagewriter in 14.04 LTS? I miss that program, worked like a champ at writing images to USB drives for RaspberryPi, etc.

Hi djfake2, welcome to the forums.

There is no current release of USB-Imagewriter in Trusty Tahr. You can still report bugs, make translations, and so on, but they might not be used until the package is published. You have Startup Disk Creator in the repos, which converts a USB key or SD card into a volume from which you can start up and run Ubuntu. You can also store files and settings in any space left over.
Im pretty sure Startup Disk Creator will do what you need, its in 14.04

sudodus
May 28th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I have no direct experience of Raspberry Pi, but I think you might be able to use the shellscript mkusb to clone or flash iso files and compressed image files to a device. See this link

Ubuntu Forums tutorial "Howto make USB boot drives" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073)

If you try it, I would be interested to know how it works for you.