PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Beagleboard with ARM processor: How to change the kernel boot order in Ubuntu 14.04

xxlray
May 28th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I use Ubuntu 14.04 and need a custom kernel as I am running it on a beagleboard. The standard kernel in this board is (currently) vmlinuz-3.8.13-bone54 but I need a modified one that loads the virtual ethernet module to be able to run linux containers.
I compiled a new kernel and tried to install it by
dpkg -i ~ubuntu/stable-kernel/deploy/linux-image-3.9.11-x5_1.0cross_armhf.deb
dpkg -i ~ubuntu/stable-kernel/deploy/linux-headers-3.9.11-x5_1.0cross_armhf.deb
Now /boot/ contains vmlinuz-3.9.11-x5 and vmlinuz-3.8.13-bone54 (amongst other stuff). Unfortunately the system still boots vmlinuz-3.8.13-bone54 by default.
$ uname -r
3.8.13-bone54
How do I change the default kernel in Ubuntu 14.04 as there seems to be no update-grub and no /etc/default/grub any more?

Bucky Ball
May 28th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Well,

sudo update-grub

... is still alive and well (unless you're using Lilo or something else rather than grub of course). Try running that in a terminal. Post any error message back here.

sudodus
May 28th, 2014, 09:09 AM
You can

1. copy and paste (with superuser privileges) the relevant

menuentry {
}

section in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

into (the end of) /etc/grub.d/40_custom

2. rename /etc/grub.d/40_custom to a name that will be found before 10_linux, for example

sudo mv /etc/grub.d/40_custom /etc/grub.d/07_custom

3. Make it active (copied into a new version of /boot/grub/grub.cfg) with the command

sudo update-grub

xxlray
May 28th, 2014, 09:10 AM
$ sudo update-grub
sudo: update-grub: command not found

$ sudo ls /boot/grub
ls: cannot access /boot/grub: No such file or directory
So maybe the standard image for this board uses a different boot manager. Is there a way to find out?

sudodus
May 28th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Are you running the system you are asking about, or are you running from a live system?

What output do you get from the following commands?

sudo find / -name grub

sudo find / -name grub.cfg

sudodus
May 28th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Maybe you are booting with lilo? How did you install Ubuntu? What image did you use? Is there some information about it, where you found it? Or is it a dual boot or wubi system with Windows and booting somehow via Windows?

xxlray
May 28th, 2014, 09:51 AM
The beagleboard is somehoe similar to a Rasberry Pie (if that information helps) and has an ARM processor. I installed the pre-compiled OS image from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Trusty_14.04
Afterwards I log in via SSH, download kernel sources, modify the .config, compile the kernel and install the resulting .deb packages like described above.

The find commands don't bring up any result.

sudodus
May 28th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I think you have another boot loader. I have no own experience of lilo, but you can search for it in a similar way as you were searching for grub

sudo find / -name "lilo*"

xxlray
May 28th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Nope - lilo content seems to only be in some linux containers. I will try to reach out to the developers.
$ sudo find / -name "lilo*"
/var/cache/lxc/trusty/rootfs-armhf/usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/lilo.vim
/var/lib/lxc/testcontainer1/rootfs/usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/lilo.vim
Could there be another boot loader? The OS is on a micro SD card if that helps.

sudodus
May 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Yes, probably there is another boot loader. I must admit that I don't know. Let us hope that someone who knows can chip in and help you. Maybe it helps to attract people who know, if I edit the title of your thread to mention beagleboard and ARM.

xxlray
June 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM
It seems to use a bootloader called u-boot but I couldn't find out how to define the proper kernel for boot yet.