PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04.4 desktop style.

gga96
May 28th, 2014, 05:01 AM
I have had mythtv on mythbuntu for over one year, I like the desktop style: clean, menu driven, saves data on shutdown.

I have just established another box with ubuntu 12.04.4 as a separate software development machine.
I would like to change the desktop to that used by mythbuntu.

Can you help.

Glen

Bucky Ball
May 28th, 2014, 05:09 AM
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mythbuntu+desktop

That took two seconds. Your answer is in the first result without even clicking the link.

Install xfce4 from software centre or synaptics or with:

sudo apt-get install xfce4

... in a terminal. Reboot and choose 'Xfce session' from the 'Sessions' pop up at the login screen. Good luck. ;)

gga96
May 28th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Thanks.
The reboot did not come up with Sessions popup?

Bucky Ball
May 28th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Should be there somewhere. Click around the login screen ...

Have no idea what your using for your login so unsure where it will be, but it will be somewhere ...

deadflowr
May 28th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Were you using normal Ubuntu?

If so the option to switch desktop sessions is in the login screen, in the box where you input your password.
There is an icon in the top right corner of said box, click and then highlight the option that shows up that you want, then enter password and profit.

Bucky Ball
May 28th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks deadflwr. My machine's a mish mash and I never use straight Ubuntu so was unsure where that would be. ;)

gga96
May 28th, 2014, 07:03 AM
I do not sign in by choice at install time.

Is it available via the terminal?

Bucky Ball
May 28th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Not that I know of. You can't really change from one desktop environment to another when you are actually already using a desktop environment that I know of, if you know what I mean.

deadflowr
May 28th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I do not sign in by choice at install time.

Is it available via the terminal?

You mean you autologin?

Then logout and you'll get put at the login screen.
Where you can change the desktop session.

After that, whenever you login, it'll log you into the new desktop.

Since you've already established that your have a user and a password, that's all you need to login.

(To log out, look for the icon and the top right of you screen, logout should be ab option in the dropdown menu.)
:::This is guessing that this is Ubuntu' default, and not some other desktop design:::

gga96
May 28th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Thanks deadflowr you solved it.

Bucky Ball
May 28th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Duh! Why didn't I think of that, Deadflwr! ;)

Glad it's solved. Enjoy xfce! (I certainly do).