PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Some xubuntu 14.04 questions (from a unity user considering to turn to xfce)

edgue
May 27th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Hello there,

today some strange bug killed unity on my 14.04 - after logging in, no more dash, indicators, whatever. I tried everything - from purging and reinstalling nvidia, unity, compiz, ... nothing helped.
In the end, I switched to xubuntu ... and decided that after being a unity-user since like ever ... it is time to move forward.

Nonetheless there are some things that would help this transition, so maybe some folks can help on my specific questions:

I really like the dash. I guess the "whisker" menu is a valid alternative for launching stuff; but still, are there any launchers for xubuntu that come closer to the unity launcher?
Talking about the dash - the file lense is the one thing that really made me a unity fan. Just hit windows+f; and start typing the file name ... and voila, there you go. Is there anything like that for xubuntu?
I really like to alt-tab switch between all applications on ALL desktops. I know that xfce had a config switch for that earlier on - but I couldnt find it in 14.04. So - where is it hidding?

Thanks!

Dennis N
May 27th, 2014, 08:04 PM
#1: I just use a vertical panel on the left side of the screen. Set it to automatically show and hide. On it, add launchers for programs or other items you want.
#2: Sorry, no idea.
#3: Settings Window > Personal > Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling Tab > Checkbox: Cycle through windows on all workspaces.

Toz
May 28th, 2014, 02:17 AM
For #2, have a look at catfish. Its not exactly the same, but its close. You can also assign windows+f to fire up catfish so that you can file search.