PDA

View Full Version : Best virtual host for Windows?

dave_h2
May 24th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I've installed Ubuntu on Windows where you choose whether to boot into Ubuntu or Windows, and then also in VirtualBox so I don't have to reboot, but honestly all I'm looking for right now is just something to boot up quick to test things, but VirtualBox caused a problem in Windows 7 where I couldn't share a USB drive without disabling VirtualBox's network adapter and I'm afraid of other problems VirtualBox will cause with Windows 7. I just need something problem-free that won't screw up Windows features that will let me boot up Ubuntu virtually so I can test quickly and shut down.

Can someone recommend the best free/paid virtual hosts for this in Windows 7? Thanks.

NOTE: Please only reply if you've used a virtual host for Ubuntu on Windows and you know something that works better than VirtualBox.

gdesilva
May 25th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Did you install Virtual Box Guest Additions? This will enable you to share USB drives and folders without having to tweak anything.

Mark Phelps
May 25th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Since you've asked specifically about Win7, and this is the Ubuntu forum (not Windows), my suggestion is that you jump over to the Win7 forum, starting at the link: http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/

dave_h2
May 25th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Did you install Virtual Box Guest Additions? This will enable you to share USB drives and folders without having to tweak anything.

Guest additions? I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. VirtualBox's network adapter prevented me from sharing a USB drive from Windows 7 (the problem didn't happen on XP). I am asking Ubuntu users what is the best virtual software to use for Ubuntu on Windows since that is the only Linux operating system I use virtually.

dave_h2
May 25th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Since you've asked specifically about Win7, and this is the Ubuntu forum (not Windows), my suggestion is that you jump over to the Win7 forum, starting at the link: http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/

Yes, I know this is the Ubuntu forum and it's not specifically a Windows 7 question, it's about running Ubuntu on Windows and looking for a better virtual host than VirtualBox because it screwed with my Windows 7. My guess is my chances are 50% I'll post on sevenforums and they'll tell me to come here because it involves Ubuntu.

I am seriously just looking for an Ubuntu user to recommend a different (ie, in your opinion the best) virtual host to use for Ubuntu than VirtualBox on what just happens to be Windows 7. Do you have that recommendation? If not, please don't reply.