PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I safely remove operating systems from my hard drive?

sofasurfer
May 24th, 2014, 03:52 AM
I have a hard drive that contains 2 ubuntu installations. They are both full of crap I do not want to lose. I want to install a differant operating system...mint...in the remaining space on the drive. After I drag all the crap from the old installations into the new one what is the process for removing the old installations without causing damage to the boot process?

tgalati4
May 24th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Normally you would back up to different media, either USB sticks, external USB drive, or over the network to a shared drive. Simply moving files around and then performing a new installation is an invitation to data loss.

Once your files are backed up to separate media, you can perform a complete wipe by repartitioning and installing your new Linux distro. Then you can move files from your backup media as needed.

sofasurfer
May 24th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Thats is my problem. t this time I do not have an extra backup media. I was hopeing to install the new distro, move my files to it and the wave a magic wand to make the old distros disappear.

LastDino
May 24th, 2014, 05:55 AM
There is ''os remover'' tool in Ubuntu Linux remix. Maybe download that and burn it or DVD/USB, and then run it on live? It is claimed to be quite safe to use.

Side note: Only brave men try something like this without back-up, safe or not, I would rather advise you to at least temporarily get some other HD or external drive (maybe from friend) and then do this.