PDA

View Full Version : Replacing XP with Ubuntu on an old computer ---very slow

Bonzadog
May 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Hello,Win
I have an old computer with a Semptron 2.800+ 32 bit processor and 2GB of storage and an old EIZO 930 Monitor that was running XP satisfactoraly.

I Installed Ubuntu LTS 32 Bit version14.1 which installed without any problems and the WLAN as successfully logged in.

BUT the response time is terrible, when I click on an Icon on the screen left hand side I must wait for about 10 seconds plus, then the Menu starts up very slowly.
If I place a cursor over the menus Icon it just disappears. Closing the menu I can each each change in the menu before it disappears from the screen.
I tries the 13.10 version with the same results.

Is my computer too antiquated for Ubuntu?
If not please give me some tips, I was thinking of replacing windows 8 on my new laptop when I gained experience with Ubuntu.

BD

gdesilva
May 23rd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Perhaps you may want to try out lightweight distros such as Slitaz, Puppy which probably will be more suitable for older hardware.

sudodus
May 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
Perhaps you may want to try out lightweight distros such as Slitaz, Puppy which probably will be more suitable for older hardware.

+1/2

These extremely lightweight distros will probably work. You could also try some light-weight flavour of Ubuntu. They have the same engine under the hood as standard Ubuntu, but the desktop environment and some of the default application programs are lighter than standard Ubuntu. These light-weight flavours of Ubuntu are more complete systems than the extremely lightweight distros.

- Xubuntu with the medium light XFCE desktop environment
- Lubuntu with the ultra light LXDE desktop environment

My mother in law has a computer similar to yours Bonzadog, and I have installed Xubuntu 12.04.4 LTS to replace Windows XP. In August, when the first point release of 14.04 LTS will be released, I intend to upgrade to 14.04 LTS. I will compare Xubuntu and Lubuntu. (Right now there are bugs, that need to be squashed in 14.04 LTS.)

Bonzadog
May 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
Well the XUBUNTU was a good idea, I've installed it and it work well.

Just one more thing, I cannot seem to find a firewall of virus scanner - any help on that?

Thanky you all for your help

sudodus
May 23rd, 2014, 02:59 PM
You need no virus scanner.

If you wish, you can install a firewall front-end, ufw or gufw. But the default system settings are good enough for a normal user of Xubuntu. See this link for more details

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity