PDA

View Full Version : buying a new pc/laptop without Windows

justicerulesok
July 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I would like to by a new pc or laptop.

I want to instal Ubuntu on it or at a push Linspire (maybe both). But I don't want to pay extra for MS windows. I don't need the licence agreement or the software that will only install on that machine. I want it blank.

Is it possible in the UK to buy a machine with no OS installed? where from?

I know as an ex pcworld techie that staff can buy 'broken' ones & put what they want on them but they are not allowed to sell these to the 'general public' (as an ex employee I don't count).

Any idea folks?

Justice...

PS I am new as you can tell so if threads like this are not alowed please give me smacked wrists & I wont do it again.

Sef
July 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM
PS I am new as you can tell so if threads like this are not alowed please give me smacked wrists & I wont do it again.

This seems like a good spot for your thread. You are asking and not selling, so all is ok.

philippe_carlo
July 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Clean laptops are hard to find everywhere. I think Dell used to provide Linux systems. But now, they only do this for servers, I believe. And it's fedora :-s

_simon_
July 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.novatech.co.uk

They give you a choice:

No OS
XP Home
XP Pro

justicerulesok
July 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Thank you. I will give them a try.

GuitarHero
July 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
system76.com sells ubuntu machines. they're us based though.

Engnome
July 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
zepto sells good laptops without an OS.

aeiah
July 25th, 2006, 04:24 PM
i dont have any experience with novatech laptops, but i bought the majority of my pc components from there for my built desktop, and a friend bought his desktop system from them. i cant say anything bad about them as a company so its deffinatley one you should consider :cool: