PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I get rid of Windows 8.1, install only Ubuntu 14.04 on ASUS X551M notebook?

Terry of Astoria
May 20th, 2014, 12:03 AM
I just want to know if I can safely allow Ubuntu to partition the disk, and that ASUS and Microsoft haven't built in a UEFI booby trap that will brick my computer if I wipe the disk.
I don't want or care about Windows 8.1 at all. There's no data on the drive that I need, so I can wipe it.
When I boot the Ubuntu 14.04 USB installer, it says there are no detected operating systems, although the Windows 8.1 install exists, and is bootable.
In fact when I took the "something else" option, the partitioner showed all of the windows partitions in all their gory. However "There are no detected operating systems..."
Ubuntu gives me the option of wiping the drive, and formatting it. If I do that, will I brick the computer because of the EFI? Will Ubuntu wipe out an important partition?
I can't figure out this UEFI thing.

Terry of Astoria
May 20th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I'm going for it.

Terry of Astoria
May 20th, 2014, 01:13 AM
It worked just fine.
Thanks anyway.

sammiev
May 20th, 2014, 04:44 AM
It worked just fine.
Thanks anyway.

I hope you at least made a backup of the OS before you wiped it. You may one day need it or decide to sell your computer.
Glad you have it working. ):P

Terry of Astoria
May 20th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Thank you for your concern and for your reply. However, that wasn't an OS. It was a huge seething mass.
I'll never need Windows on that computer. I am so glad it's gone, I can't tell you.
Ubuntu qualifies as an OS. It's responsive, useful, easy-to-use, and updateable. I AM selling it. My customer wants something reliable, cheap, and useful.
I've set up and sold hundreds of computers over the last few years, (true) and while some people just won't change or are forced into a certain situation and want MSWindows, these days most of my customers prefer Linux. Usually they need some cajoling if they come from a Windows background, but aside from serious gamers and those who use Pro-tools, Photoshop, or other proprietary stuff, a good majority are completely happy with Ubuntu.

monkeybrain20122
May 20th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you for your concern and for your reply. However, that wasn't an OS. It was a huge seething mass.
I'll never need Windows on that computer. I am so glad it's gone, I can't tell you.
Ubuntu qualifies as an OS. It's responsive, useful, easy-to-use, and updateable. I AM selling it. My customer wants something reliable, cheap, and useful.
I've set up and sold hundreds of computers over the last few years, (true) and while some people just won't change or are forced into a certain situation and want MSWindows, these days most of my customers prefer Linux. Usually they need some cajoling if they come from a Windows background, but aside from serious gamers and those who use Pro-tools, Photoshop, or other proprietary stuff, a good majority are completely happy with Ubuntu.

Cool. I have always wondered about this idea that you need to put Windows back on if you want to sell your old laptops. I see no reason whatsoever, I am not a business and I am not a MS OEM. I have sold a few old machines either with no OS or *buntu on request.