PDA

View Full Version : help with corrupted 14.04 upgrade install

mshallop
May 19th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I installed 14.04 by upgrading from 13.10. I've have a few issues, but nothing preventing me from working.

Today, I started having problems with my headset - it no longer showed up in my device listings, and although I could control volume settings from the headset controls, no sound was sent to the headset and the headset's mic was not recognized.

I tried update alsa-utils but no update, then I r&r'd pulse audio packages and that's when everything went south.

On reboot, I lost a crapton of stuffs - in my system settings window, I now only have Language Support, Security & Privacy, Printers, Landscape Service, and Software & Updates. Everything else is gone.

I removed the pulse-audio packages I installed previously and rebooted but no change. I updated the available packages with apt-get and rebooted - no change.

Since I upgraded from 13.10, I never created an install disk.

Is there a command or set of commands that can validate the 14.04 base install and reload w/e packages went missing without having to do a complete re-install from media and losing all my files?

thanks...

mshallop
May 19th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I ended up removing the packages that I added:
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio paprefs pulseaudio-esound-compat kmix
and then I reinstalled the desktop:
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
I got all of the system-setting/control panel option back. I rebooted and confirmed that the changes persisted and my environment is back to as it was.

Posting this answer in case it helps someone else.