PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Utopic Unicorn so far?

Tristan_Williams
May 17th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I would like to know what all of you think of Utopic Unicorn so far. I am installed the daily build in Virtualbox, so I will get to try it when it is finished installing.

What are your thoughts?
Recommended changes from 14.04?

Elfy
May 17th, 2014, 06:59 AM
that nothing much has changed yet ...

Tristan_Williams
May 17th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I was meaning what changes do you think SHOULD happen

grahammechanical
May 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I am not thinking in terms of 6 monthly releases but of 2 yearly LTS releases. We already know to a certain extent what is to come. Convergence. Mir+Unity8 and the phone/tablet apps scaling correctly on the desktop. The target for these things to be default in Ubuntu is 16.04 LTS. That is not to say we will not get any of this code in Utopic or the following two releases, 15.04 and 15.10. This stuff has to be tested somehow.

My install of Utopic already has click installed (a simplified packing format) and related libraries including ubuntu-purchase-service (for enabling purchase of click packaged applications which are sold through the click app store) and unity-scope-click.

What do I think should be in Ubuntu? I do not think about these things. I have no idea. I am happy to take what I get. I wait to see what comes because Ubuntu already does enough for me to use it.

Regards.

monkeybrain20122
May 17th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I am not looking that far ahead. I am still waiting for the nurmerous bugs to be fixed in 14.04 so it will achieve the same usability as 13.10. :)

NoBugs!
May 21st, 2014, 07:32 AM
Bugs like what - the unity sidepanel only showing 70% opened after awhile, leaving a gap between it and dash menu? The not-saving-your-dash-sources after search bug?

I remember those happening in earlier versions, perhaps not as often, but I haven't seen many showstoppers.

monkeybrain20122
May 21st, 2014, 08:06 PM
Bugs like what - the unity sidepanel only showing 70% opened after awhile, leaving a gap between it and dash menu? The not-saving-your-dash-sources after search bug?

I remember those happening in earlier versions, perhaps not as often, but I haven't seen many showstoppers.

Bugs like devices not being recognised, hibernate/suspend broken for some hardware where 13.10 used to work, function keys not recognised any more while 13.10 works perfectly, vnc completely broken in 14.04 whle it works in 13.10...

Whether it is a showstopper is not for you to say, something that may not bother you much may be a showstopper for me and vice versa. The point is that quite a few things that used to work in 13.10 no longer work in 14.04 on same hardware (or not working reliably). It is a fact (check out launchpad bug reports) not a value judgement.

lz1dsb
May 22nd, 2014, 08:24 PM
What platform do you use?
I've upgraded from 13.10 on my IntelNUC machine and it has been flawless so far. there's only one minor bug concerning my smart card reader... but this bug was around in 13.10 too.

netgooroo
May 22nd, 2014, 10:38 PM
In general, I am not seeing anything "new" or "improved" in 14.10 thus far. As has already been stated, it is still a bit early to see if anything will really change.

Me personally, I'm not a big fan of Unity at all. In fact, on every install that I do on my machines, I always "downgrade" to the latest supported version of Gnome desktop. I understand that everything is moving the way of "touchscreen" everything but, I'm not a big fan of all that.

If you ask me, if something works good.. like Ubuntu 10.04, stop effin with it and leave it alone. Again understanding that "innovation" is a prime focus in todays world.

I'll be staying with my 12.04 LTS for a while until such time that I HAVE to upgrade to the next version. ;)