PDA

View Full Version : Waste P2P Darknet

Pirate_Will
March 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
This is my first thread, so if ive messed something up please correct me.

Way back when I was still using Win$lows, I found Waste a great program to share odd files with friends, I only got a very small network going and the transfer speeds are nothing to write home about but its good at what it does.

Heres the website : http://waste.sourceforge.net/

Anyway after a lot of waiting they have finally released a client for linux.

First of all you will need to compile the wxAll package available here:

http://www.wxwindows.org/

(Package availible directly here)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxwindows/wxAll-2.5.4.tar.gz

WARNING - This is a development snapshot and while ive not had any problems with mine at least be aware that you could run into difficulties

I then picked up the Waste crossplatform source from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/waste/waste-source-wxwidgets-1.5-beta-3.zip?download

Again compiling this was not a great problem, however when it came to running the finished product I (and many others) got the error:

./waste: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyway on to the How-To proper

you will need to create several symbolic links and then all should be peachy

$ cd /usr/lib
$ sudo ln -s libwx_gtku_xrc-2.5.so.3 libwx_gtk_xrc-2.5.so.3
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2_xrc-2.5.so.4 libwx_gtk2_xrc-2.5.so.4
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2_html-2.5.so.4 libwx_gtk2_html-2.5.so.4
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2_adv-2.5.so.4 libwx_gtk2_adv-2.5.so.4
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2_core-2.5.so.4 libwx_gtk2_core-2.5.so.4
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_base_xml-2.5.so.4 libwx_base_xml-2.5.so.4
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_base_net-2.5.so.4 libwx_base_net-2.5.so.4
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libwx_base-2.5.so.4 libwx_base-2.5.so.4

then just

$ waste

Then its a case of generating a public/private key pair and starting a network,

have fun!

Pirate_Will
March 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Just in case anyone is trying this, there is one other small problem I've had with the waste client. It seems that adding and viewing other peoples public keys won't work automatically. Luckily its really easy to add them manually:

all you need to do is create a text file called Deault.pr3 and paste the keys of those you want to connect to in that.

garcia
March 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Did you try
"LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib waste"
?
It seems as though linking those /usr/local/lib files to /usr/lib can get smelly.

Pirate_Will
March 28th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Hi Garcia,

Thanks for pointing this out to me, i hadnt even though of it to be honest. I've just tried it myself, removing the symbolic links and then executing the command you gave. For some reason it didnt work, giving the original errors about not being able to find the libraries.

Does this work for you? It would be a much easier and more elegant solution if it did, and certainly not the first time i had failed to make something work first time.

Cheers,

Will

ups
March 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Garcia,

Thanks for pointing this out to me, i hadnt even though of it to be honest. I've just tried it myself, removing the symbolic links and then executing the command you gave. For some reason it didnt work, giving the original errors about not being able to find the libraries.

Does this work for you? It would be a much easier and more elegant solution if it did, and certainly not the first time i had failed to make something work first time.

Cheers,

Will
If you had compiled the wxAll libs with ./configure --prefix=/usr, they would have installed in /usr/lib instead of /usr/local/lib. It is not recommended to install things in /usr though, but perhaps it is better than creating manual symlinks.

cfa
March 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
apt-get install libwxgtk2.5-dev
gunzip waste-beta.zip
and make / make install should do the trick also :)

bored2k
March 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
"Share odd files with friends"

Nicotine is doing wonders for me on this one .

Pirate_Will
March 29th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I don't think that waste is for everyone and is certainly more hassle than most other file sharing apps, I use it to create encrypted private networks with my friends.

One of my favourite features is the ability to send someone files without their approval (this is optional), which might not appeal to some, but if a friend gets a picture or some music he or she thinks i might like, they just send it.

Its not a particularly fast method of transfering files but its pretty light on resources and i dont worry about anyone suing me ;)

Pahanilmanlintu
March 17th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the HowTo, altough i haven't managed to install it yet.

There's nowadays also a linux port available from waste.sourceforge.net with an installer, but i can't get it to run. There's no information about dependencies or installation in general, so if anyone has successfully installed it, please share the know-how. :)

Edit: This is the error i get when i try to run it:
bash: ELF: command not foundIt kinda makes me think the executable is in a different charset or something?

Edit: M'kay, i learned a few commands (i'm a total noob :)) and found out that it won't run because libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.5.so.3 is not installed. This is a part of an obsolete wxgtk version, so i guess a version of waste using a newer one should be compiled...

hpklett
October 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Or you could do it the *right way*, and make it easier to boot.

sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.6-dev

Download the latest waste-source-wxwidgets package from waste.sf.net. Right click -> Extract Here. Then

./configure
make && make install

That installs to /usr/local, which is fine, /usr/local is for exactly this kind of stuff, but I like to use a prefix in my home directory:

./configure --prefix=/home/me/where/I/want/waste
make && make install

rvernica
November 24th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Hi,

I managed to install waste without compiling anything.

I got waste-linux-1.5-beta-3.zip from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82356&package_id=147272

I added the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted universe multiverse

Then
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.5.3

and
./waste

Ray

marksutherland
July 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hi, I just compiled waste using hpklett's method, and I thought I should mention that you need wxrc from the wx-common package for it to work (I built waste using wxwaste_1.5_beta_4.tar.gz) . As such the apt-get line should probably be

sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.6-dev wx-common

in order to make sure you have all the dependencies. This certainly gets waste running, but I've yet to use it properly.

johndoe32102002
December 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM
The latest version of waste is found here:
http://wasteagain.sourceforge.net/downloads.shtml

It is NOT backwards compatible with the last versions.

Wine runs Waste find on Ubuntu for those that do not wish to run it natively on linux.

chambernug
December 1st, 2009, 02:26 AM
It is NOT backwards compatible with the last versions.

Actually, it's QUITE compatible with older versions, and is running fine under WINE on Karmic. ;)

I ran into problems getting the old beta to install on Karmic, so I finally just went this route. It was easy and fast, and the new client is a lot better than the old crappy Linux version.

johndoe32102002
December 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have found bug in sending messages in all versions. Can you tell me and link me to which version you found to run stably?

king vash
December 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I was also unable to find a version of WASTE that worked in Ubuntu 9.10 if some one knows of one that would be most appreciated.

chambernug
December 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
1.7.4 build 437 works great for me via WINE. The only issue that I've found is that when chat text gets long, every new line causes the chat window to "re-paint". That's annoying, but workable. I have this version working perfectly with my existing network that is running the old windows branch. Note that when setting it up, I used 1536 bit encryption, rather than the new default 2048 bit.