PDA

View Full Version : 12.04 kernel update 3.11.0-20 broke SuperCollider IDE

dewdrop_world
May 15th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I would like to ask some advice on the right way to file a kernel bug.

This past Monday (May 12), I reported a display glitch on the SuperCollider developer mailing list, where the output panel in the IDE was switching back and forth between the correct display and two or three variants of completely messed up display. Today, I decided to investigate.

Looking back over the update history in the Ubuntu Software Center, I saw that I installed kernel 3.11.0-20-generic about a week ago, so I thought... okay... let's see if the problem is reproducible using the previous kernel (3.11.0-19-generic). The result? Everything is fine.

So, there is something in 3.11.0-20-generic that breaks something specific in SuperCollider. Normally I'm able to describe problems pretty well for bug reports, but this one eludes me. SC is the only software that's affected, and the issue occurs only when the editor process receives a status message from the audio engine (separate process), and updates its status bar in response. But, the issue started *without* my updating SC itself -- it started after a kernel update, and reverting backward one kernel version seems to fix the problem.

So... how should I phrase this to the Ubuntu developers?

Thanks,
hjh