PDA

View Full Version : returned to kdm, removed LightDM, things are broken

linbu2
May 13th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Kubuntu 14.04, I changed back to KDM after upgrading to 14.04 (from 12.04) and having LightDM thrust upon my machine. My home/me/ Documents and Downloads and other sub-directories are gone. Firefox, though installed, has no launcher icon (I have fixed that). Thunderbird seems to think I just installed it, all of my accounts, add-ons, mail messages are gone. All of my Documents are missing.

What the....??? How do I get all of that back? There's a script in my home directory now: "Access your private data desktop". Now (possibly as a result of clicking it), there are many encrypted directories under my home. How do I convert those back to my familiar directories and files?

Why did this happen without any permission from me? I don't get it- we are forbidden from logging into a GUI as root for our own protection, and that makes sense- but when I follow the rules and innocently make a change, a garbage typhoon ransacks my machine without permission or even warning.

I just want to get something done in a friendly computing environment.

Thanks for your help. I sure do need it!

steeldriver
May 13th, 2014, 11:47 AM
You apparently chose to encrypt your home directory when you installed, and it looks like the switch from kdm to lightdm has broken the automatic decryption on login

I've never bothered to encrypt my home dir so I'm not familiar with the hooks for the automatic decrypt (it's possibly just a keyring thing) but I'm sure if you wait a while someone will be able to help you sort it out

It's nothing to do with being "forbidden" from logging in to the GUI as root

linbu2
May 13th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Many thanks, I sense now that I panicked too soon and too much!