PDA

View Full Version : Messed up Gnome 3.10/3.23 Desktop screen

Richard Carlson
May 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM
So far this to my knowledge hasn't been fixed either in Fedora 20 or Ubuntu-Gnome 3.10 or 3.12. . . maybe it's because I'm using a Intel graphics chipset found in cheaper laptop computers. . . (i.e. doesn't have a Nvidia or ATI graphics card on board.)

The left side app menu launcher bar starts up initially fine centered on the left side of the screen but once you start running apps and making selections from that left bar on the left side of the screen, it jumps to the bottom of the screen where it basically stays put. You then loose some of the app icon's because they have disappeared from view. I don't know of any fixes yet for this and I have adjusted the gnome-tweak tool and have found it to be of little or no help. Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated as this becomes frustrating to use in this manner and no where on the internet can I find any idea's or suggestions on how to fix this desktop annoyance. Below is what my screen

looks like after the menu app bar disappears from view on the left side of the screen.

Any help would be appreciated. . . . . Rich :(

Richard Carlson
May 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM
It's interesting that I can't find a fix to the problem of my post stated above what so ever with either Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04 LTS (Gnome 3.10/3.12) and Fedora 20. I have now installed the newest Sabayon Gnome distro and the problem in my first post above does not exist or even occur on my laptop where the problem occurs. What are these two distro's doing different than Sabayon? This is ridiculous. How is it Sabayon can get this right and the others not? I'm also using Gnome 3.12 in Sabayon. Say's a lot about the big Distro's and their lack of attention to quality issues. I suspect they'll never figure this one out is my guess. . . that's OK. Sabayon seems much more polished with refinements that I can appreciate. Thanks for the lack of help and attention to this matter. 105 post reviews and nobody has a clue. . . amazing.

End of Rant. . . . .

Rich :

QIII
May 14th, 2014, 11:51 PM
A somewhat rude post.

105 views means that 105 people had enough interest to look at your post, but simply did not have an answer. Since it is considered rude to give answers like "Oh. Well. I read this but I don't have an answer. Have a nice day!', I would not expect that each view would net a response. If you were getting those sorts of responses, we'd be removing them anyway. They're frowned on.

You seem to have gotten the impression that because you did not get an answer from a random number of volunteers you have been shown some sort of disrespect.

Snide remarks, by the way, are not likely to encourage people to help.

Your experience with this issue is anecdotal -- if this were a common problem we'd see a lot of posts about it. Since we don't, we can conclude that it is working for at lease some users. This would lead us to conclude that it is just possible that the creators of other distributions have, in fact, "gotten it right."

If you would still like help, I submit that being polite might be more appropriate.

And no, I don't have an answer for the problem, either.

Richard Carlson
May 15th, 2014, 03:55 AM
No disrespect intended. . . . I'm sure other laptops out there may have this very issue. I found this was a problem in Fedora and with another user there who also used Gnome. My remarks were snarly perhaps to show that even the big distro's still can't get it always right and less known little distro's used maybe more focused and on the ball.

Richard

deadflowr
May 15th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Which intel card are you using?
And do you have any extensions turned on and/or installed?