PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] HTML 5 Contact Form

erotavlas
May 12th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I'm new of HTML especially the latest version. I would like to know if it is possible to write a simple contact form in HTML 5 without using PHP. I don't want to use server if it possible.
Thank you

Erik1984
May 12th, 2014, 08:53 PM
What do you want to do with the entered data? If you want to process it into a central storage you need server side code. But that doesn't have to be PHP, it can be any language. It is possible to have small server side code with for example node.js http://nodejs.org/ So in that case you can use the JavaScript syntax on both sides (client and server). But that situation is not so different from having an apache server with PHP running, or a Java server, or Python or...

You can use jQuery to easily write code to send custom data to a server, for example : http://api.jquery.com/jquery.get/

SeijiSensei
May 12th, 2014, 09:16 PM
You can POST a form to an email address with:

<form action="mailto:someone@example.com" enctype="text/plain" method="POST">

See http://www.techrepublic.com/article/set-up-an-html-mailto-form-without-a-back-end-script/ for an example.

erotavlas
May 13th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Yes, I tried your solution but when I click on send message, the browser open the email client as thunderbird instead to send directly the message.
For instance my code is:

<form id="ContactForm" action="mailto:photo_music_frandina@libero.it" enctype="text/plain" method="post">
<div>
<div class="wrapper">
<span>Full Name:</span>
<input placeholder="Please enter your name" type="text" class="input" tabindex="1" required autofocus>
</div>
<div class="wrapper">
<span>E-mail:</span>
<input placeholder="Please enter your email address" type="email" class="input" tabindex="2" required>
</div>
<div class="textarea_box">
<span>Message:</span>
<textarea name="textarea" cols="1" rows="1" tabindex="3" required></textarea>
</div>
<div class="wrapper">
<span>&nbsp;</span>
<!-- <a href="#" class="button1" onClick="document.getElementById('ContactForm').reset()"><span></span><strong>Clear</strong></a>
<a href="#" class="button1" onClick="document.getElementById('ContactForm').submit()"><span></span><strong>Send</strong></a> -->
<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Send Message" />
</div>
</div>
</form>

Do I make some mistakes?
Thank you

ofnuts
May 13th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Yes, I tried your solution but when I click on send message, the browser open the email client as thunderbird instead to send directly the message.

That's the expected behavior if you have a mailto: url.

Maybe you should ask yourself what is the purpose of the contact form. Either it is used to send an email to someone in the end, then the mailto: solution isn't that bad, even if it assumes industrial-grade spam filters for the target mail address, or it's just strings of characters that you put somewhere (DB, flat files) but then something has to handle this, which means server-side code.

erotavlas
May 16th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Ok, you are right. Thank you