PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] shuffle taskbar window list

rybnik
May 12th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Back in the day, I was a fan of Gnome 2. I've had an eye on xfce and xubuntu since ubuntu went with unity. I tried Xubuntu 14.04 and was rather impressed. However, there's still one feature that Gnome 2 had that the xubuntu desktop just does not have... or am I missing it? I'm talking about shuffling the window list on the taskbar.

The most recent information that I could find on this in the forums was from 2008 (specifically, this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=947233)), which said that the feature did not exist.

So... does it exist yet?

Toz
May 12th, 2014, 06:37 PM
If by "shuffling the window list on the taskbar" you mean dragging and dropping the individual buttons to re-arrange their order, then yes, provided you set the Sorting Order to "None, allow drag and drop" in the Window Buttons properties dialog.

rybnik
May 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM
No, that's not what I meant. I said "window list"--the part of the taskbar that shows which windows the user has open. By default in xfce, the order is alphabetical, but I want to be able to rearrange that order manually.

Toz
May 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM
No, that's not what I meant. I said "window list"--the part of the taskbar that shows which windows the user has open. By default in xfce, the order is alphabetical, but I want to be able to rearrange that order manually.

Can you provide a screenshot? I think we may be talking about the same thing but calling it something different.

rybnik
May 13th, 2014, 03:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZxBmPay.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Luke M
May 13th, 2014, 04:19 AM
It works but it's really, really fussy. I can get the window buttons to move maybe 1 out of 20 tries! (Luckily I don't actually care about this feature. Just trying it out because of this thread).

Toz
May 13th, 2014, 12:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZxBmPay.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Yes, we are talking about the same thing.

It works but it's really, really fussy. I can get the window buttons to move maybe 1 out of 20 tries! (Luckily I don't actually care about this feature. Just trying it out because of this thread).
I think it has alot to do with the positioning of the mouse cursor. Make sure it it in the section between the two buttons that you want to place it.

rybnik
May 14th, 2014, 02:09 AM
The feature exists. I just hadn't realized how to use it. Here's how to enable it:

0. Right-click on a panel that contains the window list.
1. Click Panel --> Panel Preferences
2. Select the "items" tab.
3. Select "window buttons".
4. Click the wrench. (It has alt-text "edit the currently selected item")
5. Under "sorting order", select "none, allow drag and drop"

The actual dragging is noticably less sensitive than that of KDE or Gnome 2. (not a good thing, in my opinion)

Thanks to Toz and Luke for leading me on to the solution.

I'm glad I discovered that xfce has this feature too. Now I'm comfortable recommending xubuntu as a beginner distro.