PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot change langage of a session

PierU
May 12th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Hi,

I have xubuntu 14.04 installed (upgraded from 13.10), with 3 accounts on it. My own account is in french, and I don't remember when I switched from english (the original install as far as I remember) to french. The 2 others accounts are still in english, and I can't switch them to french.

Under these accounts, when I'm going to "settings --> langage support", I can see that the french packages are installed (there are supposed to be, as my session is actually in french), but there's no way to move the french "box" on top of the english "box" : in fact this setting area is grayed and looks impossible to change.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

sudodus
May 12th, 2014, 04:29 PM
It works for me by drag and drop (Swedish, not French, from English, in Xubuntu Trusty pre-beta, I have not checked after that, but guess it works in the same way, Lubuntu 14.04 LTS released works). If it does not work for you, try to install (re-install) French again.

When you select (from the main menu)

Preferences--Language Support

and install the relevant language, it will work after the next reboot.

The Trusty pre-beta versions need the keyboard layout to be set separately: 'add language' in Xubuntu and 'select input method' (and select your language) in Lubuntu.

PierU
May 12th, 2014, 10:04 PM
This is precisely the drag & drop that doesn't work here (and all the installed langages are grayed out), even after a (re)installation of the langage.

But I have found a workaround : I select the desired langage on the login screen for the account, and after login the session is in this langage.

sudodus
May 13th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Did you try to drag the greyed out 'language text' and drop it on top of the text at the top of the box?

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to select the desired langage on the login screen :-)

If you are happy with this method, please click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and mark this thread as SOLVED.

PierU
May 13th, 2014, 08:02 AM
This not really solved : I have rather found a workaround, but there is still a problem with the "langage support" setting (I can drag the greyed out langage, but it won't drop).

sudodus
May 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM
When you select the desired langage on the login screen for the account, will the selection survive shutdown and reboot?

PierU
May 14th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Indeed, yes.

sudodus
May 14th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Such selection survives for me too. I'm glad it works for you.