PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No boot with "splash quiet" options after upgrade

foxy123
May 11th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I have upgraded my daughter's HP DV6 laptop to 14.04 and could not boot into it. After removing options splash and quiet it started to boot but it looks a bit ugly and I wonder if I can turn them back using probably some other options? The grub config file looks now like:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=5
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

sudodus
May 11th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Did you change something else to make the computer boot? If that is the case, you can try with the boot options quiet splash again. I suggest that you try it temporarily (editing the grub menu). See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting#Editing_the_GRUB_2_Menu_During_Boo t

foxy123
May 11th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Did you change something else to make the computer boot? If that is the case, you can try with the boot options quiet splash again. I suggest that you try it temporarily (editing the grub menu). See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting#Editing_the_GRUB_2_Menu_During_Boo t
No, I left all other things as they were. I have already tried to add the quiet and splash back and the laptop did not boot.

sudodus
May 11th, 2014, 09:45 AM
The easy solution is to accept that it is ugly during boot.

Other options include trying with various boot options, for example those suggested at F6 in the installer:

acpi=off
noapic
nolapic
edd=on
nodmraid
nomodeset

(I'm not sure, maybe nomodeset is the most likely to help you)

foxy123
May 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM
The easy solution is to accept that it is ugly during boot.

Other options include trying with various boot options, for example those suggested at F6 in the installer:

Thanks a lot. Tried out all of them with the following results:

acpi=off failed: booted but no wifi
noapic OK
nolapic OK
edd=on failed
nodmraid OK
nomodeset failed

Currently I set it to noapic but I am not sure which is better if any.

sudodus
May 11th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I think it is OK with noapic.