PDA

View Full Version : (Opinion only)What country uses Ubuntu most?

rodel_catajay
May 10th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Definitely not my country- Philippines. (sad)

deadflowr
May 10th, 2014, 04:32 AM
China.

My opinion, anyway.

LastDino
May 10th, 2014, 04:52 AM
China.

My opinion, anyway.
I 2nd this.
This might be true for all the linux distros IMO.

sam-c
May 10th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Happy Israel For Sure but too many are Ms Freaks.
Uncle Sam

stalkingwolf
May 10th, 2014, 01:57 PM
there are several countries and cities that are using or starting to convert to their own builds of ubuntu. I just read that Munich just completed a changeover of 150,000 computers and plans more. Brazil I think it was just started to convert to their build.

fkkroundabout
May 10th, 2014, 07:57 PM
ah yes, china probably by sheer population size.

but if you mean percentage of the population ? well perhaps the USA, just because of silicon valley

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 10th, 2014, 11:14 PM

but if you mean percentage of the population ? well perhaps the USA, just because of silicon valley

Opinion only...

If the question were "What country uses Linux most?", the responses may be different. From what I have experienced, companies use Red Hat, SUSE, and CentOS more than Ubuntu.

I don't think there is an accurate way to actually measure where it (Linux or Ubuntu) is used most. Company servers don't typically access the internet websites using browsers, which is the way many of the OS share statistics are determined.

:)

deadflowr
May 11th, 2014, 12:36 AM

Probably, but the question didn't ask about percentages.

And if by percentage, I'd probably lean more toward somewhere like the UK, as a guess.

linuxyogi
May 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

At least one of our states is using it.

The Government of Kerala (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala), India, announced its official support for free/open-source software in its State IT Policy of 2001,[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters#cite_note-7) which was formulated after the first-ever free software conference in India, "Freedom First!", held in July 2001 in Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala, where Richard Stallman inaugurated the Free Software Foundation of India.[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters#cite_note-8) Since then, Kerala's IT Policy has been significantly influenced by FOSS, with several major initiatives such as IT@School Project (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IT@School_Project), possibly the largest single-purpose deployment of Linux in the world, and leading to the formation of the International Centre for Free and Open Source Software (ICFOSS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICFOSS)) in 2009.

monkeybrain20122
May 11th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Well China probably has the most of anything in terms of absolute numbers:) But on a per capita base I would think perhaps Spain would have a very high level of Linux adoption.

MoebusNet
May 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I found this, if you're interested:

http://www.w3cook.com/os/ubuntu

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I found this, if you're interested:

http://www.w3cook.com/os/ubuntu

That is a well collected statistic if all you are interested in are websites. From the description of the statistics, "The statistics are updated monthly using the data provided by the top 1 million domain names on the web. We crawl the websites and parse the information provided which is a complicated process and takes about 2 weeks to complete." also Edit: "The above chart and table shows the usage statistics and market share of operating systems used by web servers. This does not include OS usage on home computers."

Edit: I don't know what that website is doing but it generates a lot of WAN traffic when I go there. Edit: LOL, I disabled JavaScript and all the pie charts went away along with the WAN traffic. LOL.

deadflowr
May 11th, 2014, 08:29 PM
That is a well collected statistic if all you are interested in are websites. From the description of the statistics, "The statistics are updated monthly using the data provided by the top 1 million domain names on the web. We crawl the websites and parse the information provided which is a complicated process and takes about 2 weeks to complete."

My favorite stat is Operating Systems Market Share for RedHat> 0.00% this month 0.00% last month, so obviously that means a +51.94% change.(?)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2014, 08:34 PM
My favorite stat is Operating Systems Market Share for RedHat> 0.00% this month 0.00% last month, so obviously that means a +51.94% change.(?)

I guess that Red Hat is not popular for hosting websites. Of the 1 million websites they crawl, I guess that .00X% use Red Hat.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I like the Operating Systems Market Share 46.2% that are Linux. Umm Which one?

Edit: I guess 46.2% of the web servers only report Linux and not which distro.

QIII
May 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Fun with stats!

97.3% of stats are made up on the spot.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Fun with stats!

97.3% of stats are made up on the spot.

Wait, you mean the statistic course I took for may masters degree and got almost a perfect score was useless. I learned how to con upper management into believing anything. :)

ajgreeny
May 11th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Probably, but the question didn't ask about percentages.

And if by percentage, I'd probably lean more toward somewhere like the UK, as a guess.

Interesting. What makes you think the UK has such a high percentage use of Ubuntu?

deadflowr
May 11th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Interesting. What makes you think the UK has such a high percentage use of Ubuntu?

Simply nothing.
A blind guess is all.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM
On home computers, I would guess that some of the countries in South America and Africa top the list on the percentage of home computers running Linux; however, not the total number of computers.

sammiev
May 11th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Well China probably has the most of anything in terms of absolute numbers:) But on a per capita base I would think perhaps Spain would have a very high level of Linux adoption.

My little girl has been using Linux for many years and has been in Spain for the last 3 months. She hasn't seen anyone using Linux well she has been there. She will be back in Canada Tuesday morning.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2014, 11:31 PM
LOL!.

If I based my guess on the number of people I have seen running Linux in public, I would have to conclude I was the only fool on the planet using it. :)

monkeybrain20122
May 12th, 2014, 01:35 AM
LOL!.

If I based my guess on the number of people I have seen running Linux in public, I would have to conclude I was the only fool on the planet using it. :)

You should move to my area. :) I live around the university, it is not uncommon to see Linux, especially Ubuntu.:) Guy next door is much more experience than I am, he is a slacker.

rodel_catajay
May 12th, 2014, 04:54 AM
its correct in terms of browser use.

LastDino
May 12th, 2014, 05:00 AM
LOL!.

Actually, it is quite the other way around. These days, every small general purpose office I walk in here has Ubuntu all over it. I don't know what they are using on their backup servers and main servers, but desktops are flooded with Ubuntu. Example: My coaching class which has around 25 branches in all over country run Ubuntu on every single PC. And I'm talking about lot of PC's as we practice solving papers online and at a time there can be around 30 students practising same time. (At least in my branch).

Our family friend who is silent partner of company dealing with Solar and CCTV products, also has Ubuntu on every single PC they use to use MS products.

My own workplace however, could not make that switch since we need Auto-CAD and that doesn't run on any Linux. Saddest fact of my life as of now. This is also why I'm forced to use MS at work.

Unfortunately, big TCS hubs are having difficulty for some unknown reasons to use Linux that vividly. Which I find to be very odd as it is both insecure and super costly.

PJs Ronin
May 12th, 2014, 06:46 AM
On a percentage of population basis, I'd suggest Finland would be up there.

vasa1
May 12th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Actually, it is quite the other way around. These days, every small general purpose office I walk in here has Ubuntu all over it. I don't know what they are using on their backup servers and main servers, but desktops are flooded with Ubuntu. Example: My coaching class which has around 25 branches in all over country run Ubuntu on every single PC. And I'm talking about lot of PC's as we practice solving papers online and at a time there can be around 30 students practising same time. (At least in my branch).

Our family friend who is silent partner of company dealing with Solar and CCTV products, also has Ubuntu on every single PC they use to use MS products.

My own workplace however, could not make that switch since we need Auto-CAD and that doesn't run on any Linux. Saddest fact of my life as of now. This is also why I'm forced to use MS at work.

Unfortunately, big TCS hubs are having difficulty for some unknown reasons to use Linux that vividly. Which I find to be very odd as it is both insecure and super costly.
TCS = Tata Consultancy Services?

LastDino
May 12th, 2014, 08:23 AM
TCS = Tata Consultancy Services? Nah, that uses Linux quite a bit. TCS = Tele-Communication Services like call centers.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Actually, it is quite the other way around. These days, every small general purpose office I walk in here has Ubuntu all over it. I don't know what they are using on their backup servers and main servers, but desktops are flooded with Ubuntu. ....

I guess the LOL and :) weren't enough to show I was joking. There were thousands of server where I worked. All ran Linux except for the few management and accounting servers. Half of the desktops ran Linux. Most people I know are using some kind of Linux, it's called an Android smart phone. ;)

LastDino
May 12th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I guess the LOL and :) weren't enough to show I was joking. There were thousands of server where I worked. All ran Linux except for the few management and accounting servers. Half of the desktops ran Linux. Most people I know are using some kind of Linux, it's called an Android smart phone. ;)

This doesn't really fit into context of post you replied, but ok ;)
And no, I'm pretty sure we are not counting heads of Linux users with regards to Android. If we were, non of the western countries would make it to the table :)

jk

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 12th, 2014, 08:30 PM
jk

:lolflag:

alan26
May 14th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Definitely Nigeria.