PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu 14.04 won't shutdown it logs out instead?

frank18
May 5th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Hi guys; Lately i've been having this issue, when i click on shutdown it goes to log out, screen then i log in and some time then i click shutdown and it shuts off,why should i goes through all this now it never done it before it went LTS!

frank18
May 6th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Hello guys isn't this worth a reply with some Help?

frank18
May 9th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Hello guys isn't this worth a reply with some Help?

Hi guys don't tell a simple Shutdown issue and nobody has a clue why this happens,never had this in previous editions of Xubuntu, and i have to go and install other distro because of this?,i think it's ridiculous.

frank18
May 9th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Hi guys can someone please tell me why when i shutdown Xubuntu 14.04 it logs out instead? never had this in other editions

slooksterpsv
May 9th, 2014, 11:05 PM
How did you install Xubuntu? Did you upgrade or new install? - Reason I ask is cause I've had this issues if I've had settings from my old profile copied over to a new install.

frank18
May 9th, 2014, 11:30 PM
How did you install Xubuntu? Did you upgrade or new install? - Reason I ask is cause I've had this issues if I've had settings from my old profile copied over to a new install.

Thanks slooksterpsy; i did a fresh install from Xubuntu ISO LTS after april 17 official release,
i never had this before xubuntu 12.04 or 1310 beta or 14.04 beta, so this only happens after the official release.

mörgæs
May 10th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Threads merged.
Please stop multiposting.

frank18
May 10th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Threads merged.
Please stop multiposting.

Is that your way of helping?if i had help i would not need to multipost!

cariboo
May 10th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Does:

sudo shutdown -h now

work for you?

CharlesA
May 10th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Is that your way of helping?if i had help i would not need to multipost!

You may bump your thread once every 24 hours if no one has replied to it. Creating multiple threads on the same subject just dilutes the community effort.

Try what cariboo907 suggested and see if that shuts the machine down or not.

slooksterpsv
May 10th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Are you going through the Whisker menu to shutdown or the Action bar at the top right (by default)?

Besides that, could you paste your .xsession-errors and/or .xsession-errors.old to pastebin?

frank18
May 11th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Does:

sudo shutdown -h now

work for you?

Thanks it did shutdown but just till next reboot,i dicided to make another fresh install and it's ok for now, hope it stays that way,thanks anyway for your help and effort.

charlieprime
July 31st, 2014, 11:25 AM
I found a solution that works for *my* hardware.

My machine is an old Acer TravelMate 4320 laptop. It uses this wireless card: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN. I’m running a clean install of Xubuntu 14.04.

I tried all the various grub file changes to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= recommended here on Ubuntu Forums. None worked.

The problem appears to be with the package bcmwl-kernel-source. ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/bcmwl-kernel-source )

Removing that package allowed me to shutdown the machine using both the GUI and terminal. Here is the command I used to remove that package:

sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source

In order to get my Broadcom wireless “card” to work, I installed the drivers recommended for the BCM4311 here:

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

For me, it was the B43 drivers. Use the driver appropriate for your wireless chipset. I used this command to install them:

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter

I hope this helps you avoid the hours and frustration I spent on this problem.

slooksterpsv
August 1st, 2014, 01:49 AM
Thank you for figuring that out, I never thought it would be a wireless driver issue. I'll keep that in mind if someone else has the same issue. If you could mark the Thread as Solved so they can see what you did to fix it, that'd be great! =D

john4068
August 1st, 2014, 06:17 AM
I have the same problem with 14.04 LTS(64 bit) and, yes, "sudo shutdown -h now" does make it shutdown.But that doesn't negate the fact there is something very wrong with the shutdown options. It was a full install recently, without any old settings. Even though it says "Shut Down" all you get when you click it is 'Lock' or 'Log Out' and they don't work anyway. Hibernate is also missing.
I have noticed that the Shutdown works correctly from the Login screen.
Not a 100% certain (old timers!) but I am sure the Shutdown did work when first installed. And the only software installed recently has been the updates.

Anyone like a challange?