PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to move the taskbar at the bottom?

Tar_Ni
May 8th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I like my Xubuntu system but something bothers me. I would like to move the taskbar (set above by default) to the bottom of the screen. I believe it would be better to manage screen space on a 15'' inch notebook.

The problem is, in the parameter I can only put it sideways or above but not below. How can I do that?

Thanks.

slickymaster
May 8th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I like my Xubuntu system but something bothers me. I would like to move the taskbar (set above by default) to the bottom of the screen. I believe it would be better to manage screen space on a 15'' inch notebook.

The problem is, in the parameter I can only put it sideways or above but not below. How can I do that?

Thanks.

You can't move the top panel to the bottom of the screen. What yo can do is to change its behavior by right-clicking it and navigating to Panel -> Panel Preferences and ticking the "Automatically show and hide the panel" option.

Tar_Ni
May 8th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Ok thanks. It would be nice it there was an option to put it below. If I am not wrong such a thing can be done in Mint Xfce.

Might be something to consider in futur releases.

buzzingrobot
May 8th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Not on Xubuntu at the moment, but I remember unlocking the panel (right click on it to get to panel settings) and then grabbing the far end of the panel with the mouse and pulling it to the bottom.

slickymaster
May 9th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Not on Xubuntu at the moment, but I remember unlocking the panel (right click on it to get to panel settings) and then grabbing the far end of the panel with the mouse and pulling it to the bottom.

You are right buzzingrobot and I stand corrected. That possibility is still present. My confusion derived from the fact that from Trusty onward, the Xubuntu team decided to drop the bottom panel since it wasn't a real dock-panel, just a launcher-panel and from the fact that I've always been a fan of a top panel and hence never tried to move it to other places.