PDA

View Full Version : Modifying keyboard layouts.

Carllacan
May 8th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Hi.

I'm trying to add a few math symbols to my keyboard layout, but I can-t make it work. I'm following this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto%3A%20Custom%20keyboard%20layout%20definition s). I found the file for the layout I want to edit and I change the keys keeping the syntax, but it does nothing.

I also tried leaving the keys as they are and changing the layout name, but not even that has any effect. What can I be doing wrong?

Thank you for your time.

Jonor
May 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Have you chosen a key to change layouts ?
Finding this option depends a bit on which release and desktop enviroment you are using.

Carllacan
May 10th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Have you chosen a key to change layouts ?
Finding this option depends a bit on which release and desktop enviroment you are using.

I am using 13.04, but I'm not trying to change my layout, I'm trying to modify it.

Jonor
May 10th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Not having needed to change keys' characters myself, i cannot confidently help you with that.
A brief attempt with Fontforge showed that it should not be that difficult.
I replied because you also mentioned trying to change the layout name and perhaps you are
not familiar with how that is done, including setting a shortcut to save having to visit the layout settings each time.
Someone else might have to help you with 13.04 with the Unity Desktop.
If i were simply wanting a bunch of Greek letters for maths i think changing layout would be easiest.
There is also a Gnome editor called LaTeXila which has the letters you might want.