PDA

View Full Version : Windows manager crash when multiple windows open (14.04)

antti-g
May 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity. My display adapter is GeForce 9800 GT and I'm using NVIDIA binary driver 331.38.

If I have (for example) 3 Nautilus windows opened and I click the Nautilus icon on the left bar, some of the three Nautilus windows appears (as expected). If I click the Nautilus icon again, I should get some nice view where I can see all the three Nautilus windows (right?). I don't get that but windows manager crashes and all windows lost their borders and top bars. After that I'm unable to do anything and I have to switch to console (ctrl+alt+f2) and reboot (is it possible to recover without reboot?).

What might cause the problem? What logs should I check? Anyone else facing the same problem?

Thanks,

Antti

antti-g
May 9th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Some progress: if I start Compiz after the crash everything seems to be working again without a reboot. It is Compiz that is crashing.

So how should I continue? Any logs I should check?

antti-g
May 14th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Is there something wrong with my question or is there really no one who knows about this thing?

I've been using Linux 8 year now... I just changed from Fedora to Ubuntu because I thought Ubuntu would be working better because of it's popularity. How wrong I was: this problem above; hibernate is not working (not going to hibernate or not waking up, completely randomly); KeepassX keymap is wrong; if hibernate works, network randomly doesn't work after wake up... And what's worst, it seems that I can't get any help with my problems. I have not seen very much progress in 8 years in basic working of Linux, but mainly some stupid decorative things that just makes it very hard to use productively anymore. That's something I can't say about Windows, it has made very good progress. Also, it seems that Linux will be less and less supported: no new Picasa for Linux, no new Opera for Linux (of course that's not Linux's or Ubuntu's fault). Believe me, after 8 years I would not like to admit that, and I know I will get a lot of "Go and install Windows then!!!" answers. I will not. But I would like to have a working Linux.