PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Non-Moz Browser Replacement

kernalkorn
May 8th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Ubu 12.04 - I have changed from FF to an alternate browser. Is Ubuntu going to reinstall FF at ever major update? Is there a way to prevent that other than manually unchecking files and hoping to find the right ones?

vasa1
May 8th, 2014, 06:54 AM
AFAIK, Ubuntu requires at least one "recognized" browser present. If you have such a browser installed, you can uninstall Firefox. If you don't have a "recognized" browser installed, the system will not allow you to uninstall Firefox.

kernalkorn
May 11th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Yes, I have another browser installed. FF uninstalled without any problem. My browser gets updates from an independent source. What is the cannonical update manager going to do? Will it reinstall FF? Will it check for an "approved" browser and then skip FF updates/reinstall?

vasa1
May 12th, 2014, 03:04 AM
You uninstalled Firefox. Just like any other software, if you've successfully uninstalled it, why do you expect to get updates?
You need to be a little bit more open about your other browser :) You've referred to an "alternate browser" and "other browser". If you don't wish to reveal what this alternate/other browser is or how you installed it or why you get "updates from an independent" source, I don't know what to say. Maybe more knowledgeable persons can help.