PDA

View Full Version : do-release-upgrade did not seem to upgrade kernel, manual kernel upgrade not working

psyc2
May 8th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I recently updated my distribution to trusty. Everything seems to go fine.

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty
root@zelda:/home/jlangton#

However, when I check the kernel I get:

uname -a
Linux zelda.dyndns.tv 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I thought a release upgrade would upgrade the kernel as well, so am a bit mystified. So I went about trying to upgrade the kernel manually - did some commands to download it with dselect, but it didn't install. So I used apt-get to find it in the cache then tried to install it:

apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-trusty

It seemed to go through fine. I rebooted the server, did uname, and got the same response. My kernel doesn't look like it's changed.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks!

deadflowr
May 8th, 2014, 05:24 AM
What's

dpkg -l linux-image*
say?

psyc2
May 8th, 2014, 05:33 AM
It includes the image I installed in my original post.

I hosed the machine - tried to remove old kernel and for some reason networking stopped though it's booting and reporting old kernel still. It's a cloud machine, with web access to terminal, so the print out of the dpkg command is incomplete - but basically it lists a lot of images, and in there is the trusty one that I tried to install as indicated in my original post.

I'll have to restore from a snapshot.

Can you tell me though - shouldn't a release upgrade also upgrade the kernel?

And - I guess - I'll have to try and manually upgrade the kernel, obviously didn't work this time

deadflowr
May 8th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Could you post the output of the command I suggested?