PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird does not delete junk or emails giving error messages.

TWFJR
May 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Thunderbird must be corrupted: Error messages:

! Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions/%7B972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd%7D/chrome.manifest'.

! While creating services from category 'profile-after-change', could not create service for entry 'Disk Space Watcher Service', contract ID '@mozilla.org/toolkit/disk-space-watcher;1'

! Use getPreventDefault() is depricated. Use defaultPreventedk https://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/js/jquery/jquery-1.5.1.min.js

Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
about:blank
! . . .Class span,.ExternalClass font,.ExternalClass td,.ExternalClass div{line-height:100%}p{margin:1em 0};
--------------------------------------^

Unexpected end of file while searching for closing} of invalid rule set.
About:blank
!
---------^

Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
!
. . .Class span,.ExternalClass font,.ExternalClass td,.ExternalClass div{line-height:100%}p(margin:1em 0};
-------------------------------------^

Unexpected end of file while searching for closing}of invalid rule set.
!
---------^

I've tried removing Thunderbird and reinstalling it but this problem persists.

pfeiffep
May 8th, 2014, 02:30 PM
If you have an message backup you might consider purge (if you use synaptic the option is mark for complete removal) from man pages ... "purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged (any configuration files are deleted too)."

TWFJR
May 8th, 2014, 08:42 PM
If you have an message backup you might consider purge (if you use synaptic the option is mark for complete removal) from man pages ... "purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged (any configuration files are deleted too)."

I have used synaptic but I cannot find synaptic on the computer. It is installed. A search does not present synaptic package manager.

pfeiffep
May 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I believe apt-get will purge also ... purge purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and
purged (any configuration files are deleted too).
command
sudo apt-get purge thundebird

TWFJR
May 10th, 2014, 11:48 PM
I believe apt-get will purge also ... purge purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and
purged (any configuration files are deleted too).
command
sudo apt-get purge thundebird

It has become evident that Ubuntu has made it very difficult to find hidden files. For instance, .Thunderbird. I cannot find Synaptic nor Thunderbird and so purging Thunderbird not an option without a mini-course to understand where such files and apps are kept.

TWFJR
May 11th, 2014, 12:03 AM
It has become evident that Ubuntu has made it very difficult to find hidden files. For instance, .Thunderbird. I cannot find Synaptic nor Thunderbird and so purging Thunderbird not an option without a mini-course to understand where such files and apps are kept.

Copied/pasted purge command but thunderbird was mispelled so corrected and tried again. Seemed to have removed Thunderbird until I reloaded it and the same problem exists. Unable to delete email.

pfeiffep
May 11th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Try this ...

whereis synaptic
synaptic: /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/share/synaptic /usr/share/man/man8/synaptic.8.gz

TWFJR
May 11th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Hi Pete, Thanks for your assistance; still no resolution..
tom@toms-desktop:~$ /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/share/synaptic /usr/share/man/man8/synaptic.8.gz
bash: /usr/sbin/synaptic: No such file or directory

I'm beginning to think that it is not Thunderbird that is corrupted but 14.04.

pfeiffep
May 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Did you type "whereis synaptic" no quotes

ajgreeny
May 11th, 2014, 11:10 PM
What error if any do you get from command
synaptic pkexec

TWFJR
May 12th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I've got synaptic installed but cannot find purge instead I've found marked for complete removal. This does not solve the problem.

TWFJR
May 12th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Every new install brings up a configured account. Nothing is purging Thunderbird nor does Synaptic fix Thunderbird as a broken package.

oldos2er
May 12th, 2014, 11:24 PM
apt-get purge <package> and Synaptic's 'Complete Removal' will not remove any configuration files in your home folder, you will need to do that manually in your favorite file manager or in a terminal. The files are located at ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/ where "xxxxxxxx" is a random alphanumeric string.

All your mail and customizations will be deleted, so if you don't want that to happen move the entire xxxxxxxx.default folder somewhere else.

electrohandyman501
May 13th, 2014, 04:23 AM
I've also experienced thunderbird delete e-mail issues with a Yahoo mail account. I'd say that it started about 6mo ago or so. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

TWFJR
May 19th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Thunderbird lists this as local directory: /home/tom/.thunderbird/mtjiadeg.default/Mail/Local Folders. .thunderbird dirctory lists mtjiadeg.default and, in grey, unaccessible, profiles.ini. but no alphanumeric string. The only way I could see this was through browse in Thunderbird.

ajgreeny
May 28th, 2014, 09:57 PM
If you are unable to look at the contents of the current profiles.ini file you possibly need to make yourself a new profiles.ini file in the .thunderbird folder with the following content

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=mtjiadeg.default

TWFJR
June 5th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Moving through instructions I am finding that my problem still exists; unable to delete emails. "profiles.ini" exists and consists of the content you listed. Deleting, removing, purging Thunderbird and reinstalling produces the same, cannot delete email.

TWFJR
June 28th, 2014, 05:59 AM
I've got this "Alert:" "Unable to locate mail spool file." Maybe someone can assist me in making this spool file and putting it where it belongs.

bapoumba
June 28th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I've got this "Alert:" "Unable to locate mail spool file." Maybe someone can assist me in making this spool file and putting it where it belongs.
Is this with a gmail account ?

TWFJR
July 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
No, local IP email.

bapoumba
July 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=911082
OK, never used or heard of a movemail account, would it apply to you ?

TWFJR
July 3rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
No fix offered and the case is closed.