PDA

View Full Version : ClearCheckbook.com

forrestcupp
May 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Has anyone ever tried out ClearCheckbook.com (https://www.clearcheckbook.com/)? It's a web based checkbook/money management software. I've been using it for a little while because I like having my checkbook in the cloud where I can work with it from multiple computers and devices. I just thought I'd post it because it's another option that would work in Linux, since it's web based. It's not perfect by any means, but it's worth a look.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 8th, 2014, 12:46 AM
libreoffice + owncloud is what i use now that ubuntu one has been discounted
i could make a web based one to run on my pi server if i wanted

HermanAB
May 8th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Uhmmm, if you are not concerned about the security of your bank statements, then it is OK I guess.

CharlesA
May 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Uhmmm, if you are not concerned about the security of your bank statements, then it is OK I guess.

That. ^

Tbh, I'd trust mint more than that site, but I don't use either sooo....

forrestcupp
May 9th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Uhmmm, if you are not concerned about the security of your bank statements, then it is OK I guess.It is password protected, but you don't even enter any of your personal information or bank account numbers. My account doesn't even know my real name or where I live. All you enter are a bunch of dollar amounts. What could anyone do with that information?

That. ^

Tbh, I'd trust mint more than that site, but I don't use either sooo....

Have you ever tried using Mint? It sucks, big time. It's worthless. All it does is pull info from all of your online accounts. That's useless for tracking your checkbook, especially if you ever write checks or make online payments that don't clear right away. It's possible to manually enter things, but when it clears online, it hardly ever syncs with what you entered, so you end up with duplicate entries. Mint is horrible. To me, it's a lot safer to have complete control over your entries.

CharlesA
May 9th, 2014, 04:30 PM
It is password protected, but you don't even enter any of your personal information or bank account numbers. My account doesn't even know my real name or where I live. All you enter are a bunch of dollar amounts. What could anyone do with that information?

So it just tracks the expenses you input? Neat.

Have you ever tried using Mint? It sucks, big time. It's worthless. All it does is pull info from all of your online accounts. That's useless for tracking your checkbook, especially if you ever write checks or make online payments that don't clear right away. It's possible to manually enter things, but when it clears online, it hardly ever syncs with what you entered, so you end up with duplicate entries. Mint is horrible. To me, it's a lot safer to have complete control over your entries.

Nope, I don't really feel like putting my financial data on some random company's server (that is not my bank). I stick to spreadsheets. :p

forrestcupp
May 9th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Nope, I don't really feel like putting my financial data on some random company's server (that is not my bank). I stick to spreadsheets. :p

Spreadsheets are good, and I used to use Gnucash, which is also a great app. I've just been digging this because my wife and I can both access it from all of our devices. It makes it a lot easier for her to enter her own eating out purchases for lunch and stuff, which helps me because I don't always know what she's doing. :D

bashiergui
May 10th, 2014, 06:57 PM
It makes it a lot easier for her to enter her own eating out purchases for lunch and stuff, which helps me because I don't always know what she's doing. :DAin't no app gonna help you with that, bro. Not even
man woman Is clearcheckbook doing something that your bank's website isn't doing? I stopped keeping a checkbook register because I can log into my bank from all my devices and see the most up-to-date info. Of course money is binary in my world: either I have it or I don't.

forrestcupp
May 10th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Is clearcheckbook doing something that your bank's website isn't doing? I stopped keeping a checkbook register because I can log into my bank from all my devices and see the most up-to-date info. Of course money is binary in my world: either I have it or I don't.

That's dangerous for me. If you write checks that take a while to clear, or make online payments that don't clear right away, then your bank's web site isn't even close to being accurate. Your bank's web site only shows you what has cleared. If you only go by that, you're going to be in trouble. ;)

Any checkbook software, including ClearCheckbook, should let you manually keep track of your transactions and reconcile them when they clear the bank so that you'll know exactly how much you really have to spend.