PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] New Gigabyte GTX650 card not working after install

jonathan-l-harrison
May 7th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I am running the latest version of Ubuntu 14.04 and fully up to date on my PC

The PC has a video output which works fine, but the machine is slow, so I bought a new Gigabyte Geforce GTX 650 video card. Installed but when I unplug the screen and plug it in to the card the screen is blank.

I have checked the additional drivers and made sure the the recommended driver is selected.

Displays only shows the one option, but I would expect that unless two screens were simultaneously plugged in, likewise the config manager

I am sure all I have to do is something simple and idiotic, but I do not know what.

buzzingrobot
May 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I have checked the additional drivers and made sure the the recommended driver is selected.

You rebooted after the new driver was installed, right?

echotech2
May 7th, 2014, 02:10 PM
FWIW, the Nouveau driver did not work well with my GTX650Ti. Colours off, sometimes a blank screen, fuzzy fonts etc. I installed the propietary NVidia driver v331.38 and all is well.

jonathan-l-harrison
May 7th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Sorry for the delay, Yes rebooted several times. The prob is I can't plug the screen in to the card as I can't see anything!!!

jonathan-l-harrison
May 7th, 2014, 09:21 PM
echotech2Re: New Gigabyte GTX650 card not working after install
FWIW, the Nouveau driver did not work well with my GTX650Ti. Colours off, sometimes a blank screen, fuzzy fonts etc. I installed the propietary NVidia driver v331.38 and all is well.

Thanks, I'll try it.

buzzingrobot
May 7th, 2014, 10:34 PM
One way to determine of you have a dysfunctional driver versus an unresponsive system when you find yourself looking at a black screen after booting is to see if Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2, F3, etc) gets you a black screen with a login prompt.

Also, if you want to use the "Additional Drivers" feature to install a Nvidia driver, you obviously need to boot into a functioning system. The kernel boot option "nomodeset" is often used in these circumstances. Temporary use of it stands a pretty good chance of allowing a boot into a usable, if degraded, standard GUI. From there, you can run Additional Drivers, select and install a Nvidia driver. When you reboot you should be on the new driver.

Here's the wiki howto about using kernel boot parameters like nomodeset: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions. Note that it outlines a way to get into the Grub menu on an installation ISO. On an already installed system, holding down the Shift key during the boot process should result in the boot being interrupted by an editable display of the Grub menu.

jonathan-l-harrison
May 11th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks buzzingrobot (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1488460)
My issue was not logging in and blank screens, just when i plugged my screen in to the new card it would not work. Anyway, things ran away with me, as I accidentally pulled the power plug in the card brfore it had shut down and blew the Power supply. Surprised they don't have built in protection, such as a fuse!!! Any, had to buy a new one. Got the card running, but what i find now is the resolution is abot 50% of the internal/built-in video. ????