PDA

View Full Version : Gateway with windows 98 help

ryan82
May 5th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I have a gateway essential that orginally had Pentium 2, 64mb RAM, 10GB HDD with windows 98. I upgraded it to Windows xp, 1GB RAM, 160HDD, with pentium 3. Windows xp has gone out of service and I am looking to put linux on it. The problem is nothing wants to run on it. It has 4MB graphics. I have tried lubuntu, watt os, and alot more on there. The problem is nothing wants to run. The only thing I have gotten to run is puppy linux and I dont like the look of it. I am looking for an active distro based on ubuntu. I need it to run Google Chrome and Teamviewer. Libre office would also be nice. But are there any other distros out there that will work? Damn small linux is next on my list of ones to try.

ajgreeny
May 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
It's a long time since I've heard of anyone still using a Win98 machine or pentium 3 CPU. However, if you are going to get anything from the ubuntu family of OSs to boot on that it will probably be no more resource hogging than Lubuntu, or if you want to use something based on but not part of the ubuntu family, try Bodhi (very different DE, but still uses ubuntu repos), or maybe Crunchbang, based on Debian not ubuntu, but still therefore doing a lot of things, eg package management, the same way as ubuntu.

I have no real idea of how fast, or maybe I should say slow, the system will be when using a P3 CPU, so it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

claracc
May 5th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Have you seen this sticky?: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640

There you are a lot of tips, and ideas to resurrect your old machine, but I am afraid your expectations (google chrome) are a little high, but who knows?

I have an old pentium III, CPU 1GHz, 512 MB RAM from wich, 64 MB go for the sis 630/730 graphicas card, 20 Gb HDD and it runs now lubuntu 12.04 ( although as you know, this released is unsupported), it can surf web with firefox and chromium but you note the delay, also, it is impossible to see flash videos with adobe flash plugin ( they are in slow motion), libre office can be used. I will try net summer ubuntu lxle 12.04 (which have support till 2017 I think and have very goods comments), also I tried last bodhi linux ( non pae iso) in my "dinosaur" and it worked well.

grahammechanical
May 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
It has 4MB graphics.

Is that the memory on the graphic card? That I would say is the problem.

3D Acceleration Capable Videocard with at least 256 MB

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Regards.