PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu crashes on clicking Firefox launcher a second time

cheapodonuts
May 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Fresh Lubuntu install is getting a strange, Firefox launcher x2 = system crash. In other words, I only get this problem after trying to open a second FF window from either the desktop or task bar launchers. Right clicking a link on a current FF page and selecting 'open in a new window' will open a new window with no problems. I can also open as many FF windows as I want via the terminal.
Installed the system from my new Linux Shop Lubuntu disk last night. Didn't notice the problem till this morning. Today I have updated everything, firstly via update manager, then used the terminal to do apt-get update twice. The issue is still there.
I installed Chromium just to check and that works fine. So I'm assuming it's a FF/Lubuntu issue.

How do I report and solve the issue?

Terminal launches look like this.
__________________________________________________ ______________

:~$ firefox

(process:1557): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:~$ firefox

(process:1660): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:~$ firefox

(process:1666): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
__________________________________________________ ______________

mikewhatever
May 5th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Looks like a bug. Report it on launchpad. http://askubuntu.com/questions/5121/how-do-i-report-a-bug

cheapodonuts
May 5th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I am about to try that, but although I have had a Launchpad account for a while, I'm used to Ubuntu setting up some of the info for a bug report before I go there. We'll see. ;)

eren-canpolat-t
June 8th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I think I have a similar problem with my AMD machine, which also has NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.

In my case, whenever I try to launch Firefox, first the mouse freezes, then I see a random pattern covering the screen and then everything freezes. I have to hard reset the PC.

Have you found any solutions/workarounds to this problem?

This is a fresh Lubuntu 14.04 install.

cheapodonuts
June 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Ah, I forgot about this thread, sorry. My system has fixed itself after a month+ of freezing problems. The only thing I can suggest is to run the software manager and allow full software updates. Then to open a terminal and do sudo apt-get update , twice. Someone on here recommended doing it twice, mostly because it does no harm. :)

I hope this helps.

I'm marking this thread solved now. :-\"

cheapodonuts
June 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM
As far as I can understand it, the problems were all related to browsers and possibly flash media. But recent auto updates have fixed all. :)

eren-canpolat-t
June 10th, 2014, 11:12 AM
In my case, I still had the problem even after running the updates. And the freeze was not strictly tied to Firefox or Thunderbird. I managed to reproduce the problem by launching AbiWord once. In my case, the workaround was to switching to the legacy proprietary graphics driver for nVidia (I had 3 choices, one of them -the one that said 'tested'- caused kernel panic and I had to reinstall Lubuntu, the second one I tried worked, I dare not try the third one). I guess the Nouveau driver is the one to blame. I think it may be related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1176062

I suppose it could also be a firmware (BIOS) problem, but I don't know how to debug it. Dell doesn't provide a way to update the BIOS using Linux and I don't want to risk breaking the PC forever. If anyone is interested in fixing the driver bug, I'm willing to provide logs (provided that instructions are easy to follow).

cheapodonuts
June 12th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Hmm, ironically, I have had several browser crashes in the last two days. So I have removed the 'Solved' tag. As I still have no idea what is causing these issues.
I have now changed my graphics driver to the proprietary one as well. (good idea EC O:)) So we'll see if that makes a difference.