PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] User with uid 201 not visible in lightdm login (14.04)

jmarin
May 5th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I need to set my uid to 201 because I'm using NFS and I have this uid on all other computers of my network. I used usermod to change my uid - so far, so good.

The lightdm login window no longer shows my username and I have to select "Other" and then type in my username and password every time the screen is locked and I find this annoying. I tried setting "minimum-uid=100" in /etc/lightdm/users.conf but it didn't help. Any ideas?

brainwash
May 5th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Did you read the note in /etc/lightdm/users.conf?

# NOTE: If you have AccountsService installed on your system, then LightDM will
# use this instead and these settings will be ignored

So, removing accountsservice might be one option to get it working.

jmarin
May 5th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I removed AccountsService using Ubuntu Software Center and rebooted, but it didn't help.

macachuto
May 5th, 2014, 06:36 PM
As long as I know you can use "-o uid=...,gid=..." with mount command.

jmarin
May 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I googled for NFS uid remapping, but it seemed that only nobody and root can be remapped, not regular uids.

Anyway, it should be easy to make the login window display users with any given uids, right?

bapoumba
May 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Looked for that the other day, I need to find the file again, but I think LightDM does not show users with UID < 1000.

Edit : UID < 500 :
/etc/lightdm/users.conf

UserAccounts]
minimum-uid=500
hidden-users=nobody nobody4 noaccess
hidden-shells=/bin/false /usr/sbin/nologin
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/1283407

jmarin
May 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM
As I said, I have set "minimum-uid=100", but uid 201 still doesn't show up. Is there a hard-coded limit in lightdm or what's wrong? Is there a keyword to manually add my username to list of users displayed?

bapoumba
May 6th, 2014, 02:00 PM
As I said, I have set "minimum-uid=100", but uid 201 still doesn't show up. Is there a hard-coded limit in lightdm or what's wrong? Is there a keyword to manually add my username to list of users displayed?

From memory, I'll check : is there an "other" or similar option ? You should be able to give a username and password even if not on the displayed list.

jmarin
May 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Yes, I can type username and pw, but first I have to select Other from menu and doing all this N+1 times a day is annoying.

steeldriver
May 6th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not on 14.04 yet so apologies if this turns out to be unhelpful but the options to switch from listing the known users to providing a traditional username entry box used to be

greeter-hide-users=true
greeter-show-manual-login=true

in the [SeatDefaults] section of the lightdm.conf file

bapoumba
May 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Hey steeldriver :)

On 14.04 :
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/20-lubuntu.conf

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=Lubuntu

/etc/lightdm/users.conf

# User accounts configuration
#
# NOTE: If you have AccountsService installed on your system, then LightDM will
# use this instead and these settings will be ignored
#
# minimum-uid = Minimum UID required to be shown in greeter
# hidden-users = Users that are not shown to the user
# hidden-shells = Shells that indicate a user cannot login
#
[UserAccounts]
minimum-uid=500
hidden-users=nobody nobody4 noaccess
hidden-shells=/bin/false /usr/sbin/nologin

Now my search fu is failing on me to find some of these strings in files..

jmarin
May 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I looked at the lightdm source code and found this:

minimum_uid = g_key_file_get_integer (config, "UserList", "minimum-uid", NULL);

The "UserList" is name of a parameter group. However, in /etc/lightdm/user.conf, there's a section called "UserAccounts". I created a new section "UserList" and duplicated the parameters under it - and now it works. So, either the default config file should be fixed or the group/section name in lightdm should be changed. As it is, the parameters in user.conf are quietly ignored.

steeldriver
May 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM
... I don't know if it helps, but in 12.04 there was a 'sample' conf file at /usr/share/doc/lightdm that listed all the current option strings

less /usr/share/doc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.gz

If 14.04 has the same, the info there *may* be more up-to-date than elsewhere

bapoumba
May 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I looked at the lightdm source code and found this:

minimum_uid = g_key_file_get_integer (config, "UserList", "minimum-uid", NULL);

The "UserList" is name of a parameter group. However, in /etc/lightdm/user.conf, there's a section called "UserAccounts". I created a new section "UserList" and duplicated the parameters under it - and now it works. So, either the default config file should be fixed or the group/section name in lightdm should be changed. As it is, the parameters in user.conf are quietly ignored.

I'm now going into unkown waters.
/etc/login.defs ?

bapoumba
May 6th, 2014, 03:36 PM
... I don't know if it helps, but in 12.04 there was a 'sample' conf file at /usr/share/doc/lightdm that listed all the current option strings

less /usr/share/doc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.gz

If 14.04 has the same, the info there *may* be more up-to-date than elsewhere

Yes, it's there. I had a look the other day for some other reason.