PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Start xububtu straight to desktop

s-p-constantine
May 2nd, 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I recently installed xubunbtu 14.04 to my daughter's desktop.

During the install I erroneously knocked the keyboard at the point where it asks whether you want to start/login using a password or not.

I now have to enter a password via a login screen, which is not what I want.

I've searched and searched to no avail; it's nothing to do with Settings > Users > Change User Password [Don't ask for password at login].

Which config file do I need to tweak so that my PC boots straight into my daughter's user session, by-passing a login screen?

Thanks for any help - Steven.

HiRez_L
May 2nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
Try this:

sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Add the following line to the end and save...
autologin-user=YourDesiredAutoLoginUserName

grahammechanical
May 2nd, 2014, 09:31 PM
There should also be a utility somewhere in the Xubuntu menu system dealing with User Accounts and there you should be able to turn Automatic Login On and Off. I cannot give better directions as I am not at the moment using Xubuntu 14.04 although I do have it installed.

The installer usually defaults to requiring a password to log in. You did set a password, didn't you? We need to set a password and to confirm it even if we intend to automatically log in. It may be simpler to re-install.

Regards.

s-p-constantine
May 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM
Try this:

sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Add the following line to the end and save...
autologin-user=YourDesiredAutoLoginUserName

Thank you.

Using my daughter's PC to search the WWW, I'd read several posts saying the same thing - but when I checked /etc/lightdm I found that lightdm.conf was not present.

Reading this post on my xubuntu laptop (64bit install vs. my daughter's 32bit), I see that MY machine does have that .conf file.

I therefore created the lightdm.conf file on my daughter's machine, using:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=>>my daughter's name<<
autologin-user-timeout=0
autologin-session=lightdm-autologin

That worked a treat.

I have no idea why that file should be missing on my daughter's fresh (32bit) install, but be present on my fresh (64bit) install.

Anyway - sorted, thank you!