PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubiquity crashes when trying to configure partitions

jwfoley
May 2nd, 2014, 08:04 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit alongside the preinstalled Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy h8. I previously shrank the Windows partition and installed Ubuntu 13.10 in a new partition, but my upgrade to 14.04 aborted prematurely so I need to do a clean install.

My problem is the partition table comes up blank on the installer ("Installation type") and the installer crashes as soon as I click "+", "-", or "Change...": http://i.imgur.com/86wgjpF.png

I have tried deleting and recreating the old Ubuntu 13.10 partition, or just leaving it deleted, but neither of those fixes the problem. parted etc. can read the partition table just fine:

Model: ATA ST2000DM001-9YN1 (scsi)Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 1074MB 1073MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 1074MB 1451MB 377MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
3 1585MB 1678GB 1677GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
4 1678GB 1947GB 269GB ext4
5 1947GB 1979GB 32.2GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
6 1979GB 2000GB 20.9GB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, msftdata

(Partition 4 is the one where I had successfully installed Ubuntu 13.10 before, and then deleted and recreated the partition)

So clearly there's a bug in ubiquity, but how do I work around it? Could there be something about my partition table that it's not expecting?

rooker2
May 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Trying to install Xubuntu 14.04 on an older Dell P4 3.4 GHz. I'm having the exact same problem: Live distro boots fine, but the partitioning tool shows no drives.

When I click on any of the "+/-/change" buttons, the installer just exits.
I've tried running ubiquity with debug options "-d" and "--pdb" from a shell, but there was no additional output/information.

I've also browsed the log in /var/log/installer/debug, but couldn't find what was causing the problem.

Something worth mentioning is, that the disk I'm trying to install to was previously used with a Promise SATA RAID controller in a stripe array. It seems that there are some leftovers of that on the disk, since "cfdisk /dev/sda" showed a partition of type "promisestripe_fast". I've used cfdisk to remove that partition and re-create one, but ubiquity still won't show the disk :(

oldfred
May 17th, 2014, 05:14 PM
@rooker2
Your issue is RAID related, and not like the OP.
Presence1960 on remove old raid setting from HD
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325650
sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb
Also check BIOS for raid settings

@jwfoley
Be very careful on reinstall. Like you have been doing only use Something Else. Those that have used the auto reinstall say it sees a previous Ubuntu install and will overwrite that and they go ahead. But it totally erases drive. See link in my signature.

Post this, to see more details
sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
and
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
gdisk is probably not installed by default.
sudo apt-get install gdisk