PDA

View Full Version : LXDE: Mouse stops working

vrghost
May 1st, 2014, 08:13 AM
So basically, been working away on this one really annoying issue, not in any way made worst that I am working on it over the phone as it is my father in law, I promise

So basically, what happens is that when he uses the laptop he gets to a point where the mouse just stops working, often he can still move the cursor, but it is stuck in input mode (or its an upper case I in the words of my mother in law).Keyboard works, and Alt+F1 changes to terminal, but I cant get the mouse back to working. Any ideas?

The install is about two weeks and I have updated the system, the issue was there all the time I think, there was a second issue about system crashing as well, but that one is sorted (I think)

/Ben

bapoumba
May 1st, 2014, 09:22 AM
Not sure I can help you all through your issue, but what kind of mouse is it ? Plain usb or wireless ? If wireless, no battery issue ? Does the track pad work ? You say this is a laptop, so I assume there is one. Does it stop working on any application or on specific ones ? Please also give some details about the laptop. Thanks.

vrghost
May 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Think it is a acer laptop (will get model number)
He is using the trackpad rather than a mouse. Seems to happen with all kind of applications, like chrome, the LX console and others.

The mouse don't quite stop working, you can move the cursor, but you can't click anything, and whatever shape the pointer is when it happens will stay in.

/Ben

bapoumba
May 1st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Please try
ibus exit and see if it helps.

vrghost
May 1st, 2014, 10:40 AM
I shut down ibus the applet. Seemed to make it run a bit better, so will try ibus exit.
Is there any way in lubuntu to stop ibus completely. Seems like a pretty useless application to me?

bapoumba
May 1st, 2014, 10:53 AM
I shut down ibus the applet. Seemed to make it run a bit better, so will try ibus exit.
Is there any way in lubuntu to stop ibus completely. Seems like a pretty useless application to me?

Some uninstall it. I keep on running the exit command when logging in for now, will probably make an autostart file at some point when I get tired of it. Bug report : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1307648

vrghost
May 1st, 2014, 08:58 PM
They ran ibus exit
It still happens, so the machine SEEMS to be running perfectly, but you can't click anything on the screen, but you can move the mouse cursor as much as you like, and give keyboard commands...

bapoumba
May 1st, 2014, 09:25 PM
So that may be a video driver issue, please give the computer specs. Others will help you :)

vrghost
May 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Its an ASUS X58L
Chipset: Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset + ICH8M
Graphics card: Embedded Intel® GMA X3100 Gfx

Full spec
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X58L/specifications/

bapoumba
May 7th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I wont be much able to help you with video, but just to make sure, have they tried another mouse, even borrowed from someone just to test ?

vrghost
May 7th, 2014, 12:35 PM
No I haven't, because they live two hours drive away and don,t have a extra mouse around.
Is there a way to use the keyboard to simulate a mouse click?

bapoumba
May 7th, 2014, 01:34 PM
No I haven't, because they live two hours drive away and don,t have a extra mouse around.
Is there a way to use the keyboard to simulate a mouse click?
When in a window, usually you can move from one clickable item to the next with <tab>, then hit <enter>.