PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual monitor user configuration causing a black screen.

rtrask
April 30th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Momma told me there'd be days like this....
The SSD on my desk top is failing. I work from home with remote login via citrix. When my desktop failed to boot, I grabbed my laptop which is running ubuntu studio, and loaded citrix, then connected my lap top to my 1920X1080 monitor, and went through "Settings Manager"->Display and checked the box to display to the flat screen monitor. I'm not 100% certain, because it happened fairly quickly but I think I told it to keep the configuration. Then the screen went black.

After I rebooted, The login screen came up, but as soon as I login both monitors go dark. On the next reboot, I was able to log in as guest, and everything is fine. The 1920x1080 monitor looks a little funky because the video on the laptop does not support that resolution, but both screens show video. After I log out and log back in and my normal user both screens go black, and the 1920x1080 monitor starts searching for an input.

I did the ctrl+alt+f1 to get to command line, added a new user with same groups & sudo, and after "service lightdm restart" I am able to login as that user, and the display is fine. Now the problem is that even after I change the configuration so that it does not go to 1920x1080 monitor, I get the same behavior.

My laptop is a Lenovo G570.

root@John-1-13:~# lshw -C video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:42 memory:d0000000-d03fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:3000(size=64)

dannyboy79
April 30th, 2014, 04:21 PM
see if you can get to tty1 when you see the black screen, if so log in using your username and password. you'll need to delete a config file. this may be some help: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#How_to_setup_a_dual_monitor

rtrask
May 1st, 2014, 11:10 PM
I was finally able to poke around and find the problem. in ~/.config/xfce4/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml There was a line that set the screen resolution to 1024x768. I don't know why this would cause a problem, since the resolution of the screen is 1366x768, but it did. Changing the property "Resolution" to match the native resolution of the screen fixed the problem.