PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] RAID5 trouble rebuilding after failure using 12.04

pmljr
April 29th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I have been running a file server using software RAID5 with Ubuntu 12.04 for several years. I am using 3-320GB western Digital HDD in a Kingwin KF3000 hot swap rack connected to MB using SATA cables. I have a RAID5 array setup for the OS & the files, and a RAID0 array for the swap.

It has performed well over the years except the occasional "disk failure" which so far has always turned out to be SATA failures. I believed the problem to be one of the SATA controllers on the MB and finally replaced the MB last year. Unfortunately I still have "disk failures" every 6 months or so. My skills in Ubuntu (or Linux for that matter) are weak, so previously I have always just wiped the drives and completely reloaded the OS (Ubuntu 12.04) and set up the RAID arrays from scratch each time. I just didn't know mdadm well enough to fix it otherwise.

So I just had another failure this past weekend but this time decided to try to fix the problem. I booted to the Alternate install CD (I always work command line only) and went to "Rescue a Broken Disk". I found the two RAID arrays and started a terminal as root in the RAID 5 array. I figured out how to remove and then add back in the "failed" HDD and the system rebuilt itself. Great. Then the next morning the system failed again. I am suspecting an intermittent problem in the SATA cables or (less likely) the hot swap rack and think maybe I'll just replace all of them, but it the mean time I am trying to rebuild the array.

Here is where I'm stumped. I boot to the alternate CD, select "Rescue a Broken Disk", but when I get to the screen where I pick the RAID5 array /dev/md127, it is no longer there. And the RAID0 array /dev/md126 is also gone. There is an option to "Assemble RAID array" but it doesn't seem to work. I can see individual partitions: sda1, sdb1, sdc1 (were for RAID5), and sda2, sdb2, sdc2 (for Extended), sda5, sdb5, sdc5 (were for RAID0). To compound my problem I swapped the disks a few times and tried some commands I didn't fully understand so I bet I messed up the mdadm.conf, but since I can't get a terminal in the array I can't see my mdadm.conf file.

Since I can't start a terminal on any of these partitions, I can only get a busybox on the CD. Is there some way to assemble the RAID5 array from the busybox? Can I recreate the RAID arrays without reloading the OS and starting from scratch? I don't have anything super critical on these disks but I want to learn how to recover properly. Do I mount the partitions and then try to assemble the arrays?

pmljr
May 14th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Answering myself...
Yes, I can assemble the array from a busy box. /dev/md127 & /dev/md126 are aliases of some kind and not the names of the array used by the mdadm.conf file. The RAID 5 array is called /dev/md0 (on my system) and the swap array is RAID 0 and called /dev/md1.

I had to assemble the RAID 5 array and sure enough it started re-synching. Initial attempts to assemble didn't work and I had to "force" it.

mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md0 /dev/sd[abc]1

I could not assemble the RAID 0 array because the /dev/sdb5 superblock was missing. Since I didn't need the data on the partition I just re-created it like this:

mdadm --create /dev/md1 level=0 raid-devices=3 /dev/sd[abc]5

This worked fine - I guess the superblocks were rewritten. I rebooted and am back in business.