PDA

View Full Version : New alternative to Landscape: BibOS Admin

ZarathustraDK
April 29th, 2014, 06:14 PM
So Landscape is a fantastic piece of software that basically makes administering a collection of Ubuntu-pc's much easier. The only problem is that it's aimed solely at corporate setups and demands a whopping $100 per client to license. That pretty much makes it a no-go for private users and public places like libraries where the whole point of switching to linux is cost-cutting.

Enter BibOS Admin, motto: Like Landscape, just free. It's trying to accomplish about the same thing as Landscape, only it's open source and free. It's made by Magenta as part of a push to get Ubuntu into the danish libraries, along with their own rollup of Ubuntu, BibOS.

Presentation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x0WBTmVInU

I haven't been able to try it out (messed up some of the django-stuff during install in a VM), but give it a whirl. It has supposedly been tested succesfully administering about 200 machines (no specs on the server given).

NB. The presenter says something about it being only in danish atm. I'm not sure, all the configs and code etc. I saw was in english, maybe it's only the UI he's talking about as I never got to that.