PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Live CD fails to run

Martin_McGlensey
April 28th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Hello,

I have an older HP Pentium PC with an AMD Athlon 64 dual core processor running at 3 G with 3.0 G memory. The 13.10 Live CD will run without problem on this PC. I downloaded V 14.04 LTS and checked the checksum. It was OK. The CD will run on my Windows 7 laptop. When I try it on the HP I get the prompt/screen top try Ubuntu. When I click on it, the disk comes on and it tries to load. At some point the PC just stops. I have to power down to get control. Some times I get pretty colored diagonal lines on the monitor when it locks up.

I think this is a hardware issue. Perhaps the NVIDA graphics card. What does the group think? All suggestions welcomed. I need a work around to get the CD going.

If I go with 13.10 how do I know that further upgrades (to 14.04 for ex.) will not cause problems.

Thanks

Marty

:(

ibjsb4
April 28th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Older pc's usually lack the horse power to run Ubuntu. State your equipment specs please.

For older equipment there is Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

And welcome to the forums :)

Martin_McGlensey
April 29th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Please check thhe first line of my post. I have an older HP Pentium PC with an AMD Athlon 64 dual core processor running at 3 G with 3.0 G memory. Tell me what more would you like to know about the PC?

ibjsb4
April 29th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Sorry, I misread your post