PDA

View Full Version : Game recommendations

PartisanEntity
April 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I am completely out of touch with the gaming scene. The last games I played were Enemy Territory (the stand alone multiplayer free version) and Silent Hunter I. Just to show you how far out of touch with the scene I am :)

So I was just wondering if there are any recommendable games along the lines of:

- Enemy Terriroty
- Silent Hunter
- C&C Red Alert

That a casual, non-serious and non-regular gamer could try?

Preferably something that will run on my ageing hardware: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Optimum would be something that works on Ubuntu

Otherwise something that could run on OSX. I don't have a Windows machine.

I appreciate any and all recommendations :)

andamaru
April 26th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Team Fortress 2

http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/

sffvba[e0rt
April 26th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Install Steam... stand in awe.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 27th, 2014, 03:47 AM
xonotic - http://www.playdeb.net/app/Xonotic

kurja
April 27th, 2014, 10:04 AM
http://ufoai.org/wiki/Download

get the 2.5 version, it's 'dev' but very stable and has way more in it than 2.4

PartisanEntity
April 27th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Install Steam... stand in awe.

Thanks I have gone ahead and don't that. The Linux compatible selection seems somewhat limited still.

Any top recommendations from Steam ?

Linuxratty
April 27th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I have no idea if you would like Minecraft,but it's quite good.

PartisanEntity
April 27th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I have no idea if you would like Minecraft,but it's quite good.

Never tried it, but heard a lot about it. Will look into it.

PartisanEntity
April 27th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Airland Battle has been recommended to me. Looks pretty decent, although I am not so sure that it's for the casual gamer.

mips
April 28th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Airland Battle has been recommended to me. Looks pretty decent, although I am not so sure that it's for the casual gamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hukVKcBtgI0 yawn

mastablasta
April 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM
a quick fun game with linux version is FTL (faster than light). it lasts between 5 minutes and 90 minutes. depends how good (and lucky) you are :-)

btw the GPU you have is preety good so many like Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlefiueld 2 will work on that. as well as half life 2 engine games (left for dead, portal...) that have linux ports etc.

edit: if you liked ET you might want to give World of Padman a try. i don't know how full it's servers are, but bots are preety good. graphics is nice and fun as well. and it's free. then there is also urban terror.

have a look at playdeb repositories....

mattlach
April 28th, 2014, 07:58 PM
The Metro 2033 sequel "Metro: Last Light" will run in Ubuntu. The first installment in the series is Windows/Console only bot you don't necessarily need to have played the first to enjoy the second. The hardware may be a little challenged by it, but you can always lower settings.

Also, in OSX, I highly recommend the OSX port of Civilization V. Been laying this since the original release in 1991 and still love it. be sure to get the latest expansion "Brave New World" and make sure you buy it through steam, and NOT through the Apple App Store if you ever want to play it online, as the App Store version is Single Player and Local LAN only.

jeremy1138
April 28th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I vote for Don't Starve. You can find it on steam and it works nicely on linux or mac.

[edit]
Oh and I also second the recommendation for Civ V. It is very good. Get the complete version (available on steam, amazon, walmart, etc).

forrestcupp
April 29th, 2014, 01:34 AM
a quick fun game with linux version is FTL (faster than light). it lasts between 5 minutes and 90 minutes. depends how good (and lucky) you are :-)

btw the GPU you have is preety good so many like Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlefiueld 2 will work on that. as well as half life 2 engine games (left for dead, portal...) that have linux ports etc.

edit: if you liked ET you might want to give World of Padman a try. i don't know how full it's servers are, but bots are preety good. graphics is nice and fun as well. and it's free. then there is also urban terror.

have a look at playdeb repositories....

World of Padman is an awesome game. I mostly used to play with the bots, and it's very fun like that. It's the only arena style game I like, just because it's so much different than every game out there.

Portaro
April 29th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Here my list,

Games OPen .
TripleA (Strategy)
Bygfoot (manager football)
Warzone 2100(startegy)
Astromenace (space shooter)
Smoking Guns (shooter)
0AD (Strategy)
Dreamchess (chess game)
Xonotic (shooter)
Assaultcube (shooter)
OPenarena (shooter)
Unknown-Horizons (startegy)
popzi (puzzle game)
PAintown (streets of range beat em up)
freecol (startegy)
Torcs (cars)
STuntRally (cars)
Extreme tux racer (kart races for childrens and other people)

Find other games for example here - http://www.penguspy.com/

Depends of many factors you also can use some games of WIndows with wine,

Some I tested
Rome Total War
Speedball
Medieval total war II
FEAR P erseus Mandate
FarCry
FIFA 99
FIFA 2006 World Cup
FIFA 2007
Flatout
Flatout 2
Warhammer Soulstrom
Painkiller Black Edition
Painkiller Redemption
Knights o honor
Hearts of Hiron
4X4 Evolution
NBA 2003
Duke NUkem Manhattan Project
Shadowgrounds Surivor

And some I dont remember now.

PartisanEntity
April 29th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks very much for the recommendations. I gave Wargames a try, and even though I only played through the first tutorial I would say it has a lot of potential, especially as a multiplayer RTS.

Civ V is also something I want to look into.

Minecraft has been recommended, but to be honest I still don't get what the game objective is about :)

jeremy1138
April 29th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Heh. There is no objective in Minecraft. It's all about what you make of it. Do you want to build a huge palace? Mine way underground and build a huge underground lair? Perhaps build a huge floating city in the sky? Or maybe you'd rather build a farm or go fishing or seek out and clear underground dungeons and caves?

Minecraft is a sandbox type game.

PartisanEntity
April 30th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Heh. There is no objective in Minecraft. It's all about what you make of it. Do you want to build a huge palace? Mine way underground and build a huge underground lair? Perhaps build a huge floating city in the sky? Or maybe you'd rather build a farm or go fishing or seek out and clear underground dungeons and caves?

Minecraft is a sandbox type game.

Hmm I understand, sounds interesting :)

kurja
May 1st, 2014, 01:29 PM
And if you like sandbox & space games, there's Kerbal Space Program.

fkkroundabout
May 1st, 2014, 04:52 PM
half life two deathmatch is fun, much better physics than enemy territory but less intense players

Cody_Simons
May 8th, 2014, 02:00 AM
I know its already been said but, I would also recommend minecraft. Its a great sandbox style game with new content being added all the time. Plus there is a community of moders hard at work creating even more options for you to try.

pixelro
May 8th, 2014, 07:03 AM
openTTD, SuperTuxKart