PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Synaptic:leave downloaded packages in the cache

cogset
April 26th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I've checked the option in Synaptic to leave downloaded packages in the cache,nevertheless I'm seeing that when backing up my system with rsync,some .deb packages are deleted on the destination as they're evidently no longer in /var/cache/apt/archives on the source:if I'm understanding what's going on,there may be a limit for how many packages are kept there and/or for how long,is that the case?
Is the file 20archive in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

APT::Archives::MaxAge "30";
APT::Archives::MinAge "2";
APT::Archives::MaxSize "500";
setting those limits?
Can they be overridden to store packages indefinitely,and if so what could be the drawbacks,aside of the obvious usage of disk space?

vasa1
April 27th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Is the file 20archive in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

APT::Archives::MaxAge "30";
APT::Archives::MinAge "2";
APT::Archives::MaxSize "500";
setting those limits?
Can they be overridden to store packages indefinitely,and if so what could be the drawbacks,aside of the obvious usage of disk space?
I guess you need to modify /etc/cron.daily/apt. Setting all three to "0" may do what you want: "0" stands for disable rather than a value.

As for drawbacks, apart for the space issue which you've pointed out, I can't think of any.

cogset
April 27th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks,having read the /etc/cron.daily/apt file which you've pointed me to,looks like the suggested way to go about this is to create another preferences file apt.conf.d/02periodic in which to set the MaxAge and MaxSize custom values:

# This file understands the following apt configuration variables:
# Values here are the default.
# Create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02periodic file to set your preference.