PDA

View Full Version : Lts

pfeiffep
April 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I'm really happy with Ubuntu 14.04 thus far - installed on my old Dell laptop and much newer HP tower (specs in signature).

Aside from the normal apt-get update, upgrade, clean, autoclean, autoremove sequence I perform weekly is there an operation or declaration required to take advantage of 14.04 LTS?

This from OMG Ubuntu is the reason for my question 'Canonical will not start notify LTS desktop users of an update until July, when the first point release (14.04.1) is set to go live.'

Iowan
April 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM
As I recall, that's for those of us who might upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04.

TheFu
April 26th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Well .. er ... no, however ... I would change that to
* sudo aptitude update
* sudo aptitude full-upgrade
and only deal with the others occasionally. It is sometimes good to have old packages cached.

I would add that versioned backups are a requirement. Wrote an article for Lifehacker on Ubuntu system maintenance a few years ago - here's a more current version. (http://blog.jdpfu.com/linsysmaint)

There are some small-ish bugs in 14.04, so I agree with waiting for a month or so to get those patched BEFORE doing an update to the 14.04 release for production systems. I run LTS systems exclusively on my boxes. There are (2) 10.04 servers running still, a bunch of 12.04 (20+) and just (1) netbook (Acer C720) running 14.04 (only because of hardware support). Waiting until June is the plan before attempting any updates for the other systems.

Why run only LTS releases? (http://blog.jdpfu.com/2013/07/19/why-ubuntu-users-should-run-an-lts-release)

pfeiffep
April 26th, 2014, 04:30 PM
As I recall, that's for those of us who might upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04.
Thanks Iowan, that's what I understood.

My query is focused on the next regular release in 6 months. I'm pretty certain I want to adopt LTS for my normal daily computing.
Will I need to re-install the 14.04.1 release to fully identify my preference for LTS?

Iowan
April 26th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Will I need to re-install the 14.04.1 release to fully identify my preference for LTS?
No, the update process will keep your system current... as long as you allow the updates to occur.