PDA

View Full Version : downgrading when nothing works

ziig_starD
April 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM
hi,
just today I upgraded my computer from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, all seemed fine during the upgrade process, yet once installed I had (all after different reboots)
-playing music every couple minutes it stops for a couple seconds, then just continues afterwards. Annoying.
-music stops, screen randomly turns bright yellow and nothing working. More than annoying.
-a normal system freeze. Screen kept on, clock stopped, mouse and keyboard didn't work.
-when opening the backups menu in system settings the screen goes blank and flashing all colors at epileptic speed:shock::shock::shock: I've tried this multiple times, had the same result every single time when either opening backups or closing the system settings menu.

To put it mildly, I'm displeased with the upgrade and I want to return to 12.04, but how can I do that when my computer stops functioning before I get to the system restore option?

I'm not very good with command line, that is, I only ever use it to mindlessly paste commands if I have a problem, so please don't make the answer too technical

Frogs Hair
April 25th, 2014, 09:17 PM
You would have to backup the files and reinstall 12.04 or try a clean installation of 14.04 . There are no operating systems that allows the user to downgrade to a previous version.

ziig_starD
April 25th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Any suggestions on how I can backup my files when my computer goes stroboscope mode 30 seconds after every boot now?

Frogs Hair
April 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM
stroboscope mode Can you explain what this is ? Backups are ideally done before an installation or any operation that causes major changes to the operating system.

monkeybrain20122
April 25th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Test with a 14.04 live usb or install it in a test partition/external drive and check if you experience the same problems. It may not be the fault of 14.04, but 'upgrade' has messed things up. You have nothing to lose at this point.

I always recommend fresh install as oppose to the 'lazy way' of pressing the upgrade button because a fresh install requires some forethought and likely saves you much work and agony later (not to mention a lot faster, 14.04 installed in 15 minutes or less, upgrade take hours)

ziig_starD
April 25th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Will try the live usb, hope I can access my files from there.

Can you explain what this is ?
My entire screen turns purple - yellow - green - red - blue - whatever other color and switches between them multiple times per second. Only way to stop it is a hard shutdown.

ziig_starD
April 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Bump, did the boot from the USB stick, everything seemed fine so I installed that version.
10 minutes in while testing a video it went stroboscope on me again:mad:

Any ideas on what causes this and how to fix this?

pfeiffep
April 26th, 2014, 06:14 PM
IMHO suggest using the usb stick and backuping your file.
Install 12.04 LTS and wait for 14.04.1

sudodus
April 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM
IMHO suggest using the usb stick and backuping your file.
Install 12.04 LTS and wait for 14.04.1

+1

Wait for the worst bugs to be squashed,

... unless you like finding and squashing bugs. In that case welcome to help us find and report bugs at Launchpad and discuss programs at our mail communities and IRC (and of course here at the Ubuntu Forums).