PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Chromium problem after upgrade to 14.04

mike176
April 25th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Hello
I've been using Chromium and when I upgraded to 14.04, Flash Player stopped working. I clicked on the install Flash Player button which appeared on the Chromium page. I was directed to the Adobe site. There are too many choices of versions so I tried them all. However, it doesn't install so I've had to revert to Firefox which I don't like. Is there a Command Line I can put into Terminal which activates Flash Player?
Thanks
Mike

slickymaster
April 25th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Linux Adobe Flash will stop working on Chromium because Chromium will soon stop using the Netscape Plugin API. To get Flash working in Chromium it's the pepperflashplugin what you have to install. To achieve it, just run the following in a terminal window:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

pfeiffep
April 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Here's a pretty good read and instructions (http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/install-pepper-flash-player-for.html).

mike176
April 25th, 2014, 05:48 PM
great. thanks for the link mate.

cwlinux2
June 17th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I've tried all the install threads I can find regarding Chromium and Chrome and pepperflashplugin. Every time I install the pepperflash plugin I get message "System program problem detected" when I try and fire up Chromium or Chrome. Anybody else having this problem ?

bapoumba
June 18th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I've tried all the install threads I can find regarding Chromium and Chrome and pepperflashplugin. Every time I install the pepperflash plugin I get message "System program problem detected" when I try and fire up Chromium or Chrome. Anybody else having this problem ?

How did you install it ? Which instructions did you follow ?

cwlinux2
June 19th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Chromium is fine until I install pepperflash using :-

sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

When I fire up Chromium I get a "System Error" message.

I've also tied installing pepperflash with the PPA instructions :-
To add the PPA and install Adobe Pepper Flash from Google Chrome in Ubuntu (to be used in Chromium), use the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:skunk/pepper-flash
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pepflashplugin-installer

Once installed, there's one more step to get Chromium to use the Google Chrome Pepper Flash Player: you need to open /etc/chromium-browser/default as root with a text editor (e.g.: gedit - which I'll use in the command below):
sudo apt-get install gksu #it`s not installed by default in Ubuntu 13.04
gksu gksu gedit /etc/chromium-browser/default
("gksu" is used twice to avoid a bug with Gedit opening a blank file next to our file)

and in that file, paste the following line at the bottom of the file (after the CHROMIUM_FLAGS="" line):
. /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer/pepflashplayer.sh
(yes, there's a dot in the beginning of the line, then a space!)
When I fire up Chromium and browse a page containing flash video it comes up saying Adobe Flash Player required

Now here's a strange thing.

The problem seems to be with embedded Youtube videos.
If I go to Youtube and play a video it works OK but if I go to a page that has that same video embedded then I get the message Adobe Flash Player required.

Anyone got any suggestions about this ?

s9032g@comcast.net
June 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM
http://itsfoss.com/fix-flash-player-issue-chromium-in-ubuntu-14-04/

cwlinux2
July 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Looking at the FOSS instructions they seem to be the same as the ones I used.

The issue seems to be with Pepperflash.

Until I install pepperflash Chromium works fine - but won't play flash files - Youtube stuff etc.

When I install Pepperflash and then fire up Chromium I get the "System Error" message I reported earlier i.e. Chromium won't even load.

cwlinux2
July 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Having installed with PPA Chromium fires up OK but if I look at a site with embedded youtube video I get a message saying I need to install Adobe Flash player.

The problem seems to be with embedded Youtube videos.
If I go to Youtube and play a video it works OK but if I go to a page that has that same video embedded then I get the message Adobe Flash Player required.

Anyone got any suggestions about this ?

fida_hussain
February 4th, 2015, 05:10 PM
thanks, solved!