PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Trying to install 14.04

The Frenchman
April 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
With lubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso on a usb,but every time I get a message to remove and use a bootable version?? I have 12.04 on now.
Should add I have unetbootin but there is no live version listed

Rex Bouwense
April 25th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Two things.
First did you check the md5sum after you downloaded the Lubuntu 14.04 ISO?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
They have to match. If they do did you burn the image to the flash drive and/or CD or merely copy it? If you just copied it to the medium, that will not make it bootable. You have to burn it and it is always best to burn it at the lowest possible speed to better your chances of getting a good burn.

Topsiho
April 25th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I wonder about "burning the image to the flash drive" :). Think this is a typo, the advise for burning to a CD (or DVD) is a good one.
For putting the image onto a USB-stick I always use, well, I only know the name in Dutch, something like "Create a bootable disk", which is very good (name is nonsense), but then you need a running system with (L)(X)Ubuntu on it. Unetbootin is often mentioned, but that I don't know.

Topsiho

ajgreeny
April 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
As you may already have it, use the "Startup-disk-creator"in your Lubuntu 12.04 (usb-creator-gtk may need to be installed if it's not already on your system) to make the bootable USB flash drive. Unetbootin, also in the repos does also work and I have used both with success.

ubfan1
April 25th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I have successfully used unetbootin on a Windows machine in the past. No current experience with 14.04 though.