PDA

View Full Version : Installing and downloading Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

Robin_Perrett
April 25th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I installed Kubuntu on my XP laptop. It took about 20 minutes. I wanted it to erase Windows but of course it didn't. How do I find the so-called ISO file? I looked in Bios, but it's not there. I did a 'search' of ISO files but it's not among those. How can I find it? Thanks for any help to a beginner.

madsmaddad2
April 25th, 2014, 11:30 AM
OK, It's possible that we need more detail here.

How did you install kubuntu? Did you download the Iso from the kubuntu site? In which case it will be in your download directory/folder unless there was something that erased it after you had used it for the install. ( you could use something like 'recova' in your windows OS to find it if that is the case. No promises mind)

Now that you have installed it you no longer need it, so don't worry. If you find it you can copy it to a DVD for future reference if you want it.

Good luck, PM.
I was dual boot windows/Kubuntu for years before I got rid of Windows.

Robin_Perrett
April 25th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks for reply 'madasmaddad2'. I couldn't find any references to 'download directory/folder on my WinXP. I can't find the Kubutu file anywhere. Should I download it again?

SuperFreak
April 25th, 2014, 12:40 PM
To burn a LiveDVD or USB you can use UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). Make sure you download the correct version of Kubuntu. There is a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version; you need to know which will be suitable for your computer. 64 bit will work only on a 64 bit computer and 32 bit will work on both 32 and 64 bit computer.

Robin_Perrett
April 25th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Do you HAVE to burn the Kubuntu file to a DVD or USB? Won't it just erase XP on download?

SuperFreak
April 25th, 2014, 02:35 PM
You will have to burn a bootable ISO to DVD or USB but the link I gave you will help you with that. Downloading will not erase XP but you need to be careful when you install Kubuntu as then it is possible. Further instructions will be given once you have a botable DVD or USB...Follow the link

Those instructions are for USB sticks if you want to burn to DVD use this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

SeijiSensei
April 25th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Robin, I suggest you start by reading this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

This forum would be full of complaints if Ubuntu just started installing itself upon download!

Robin_Perrett
April 26th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys. I have read the recommendations. However, I downloaded the 32-bit version of Kubuntu 14.04 again, after it was finished, the dialog box disappeared and I still cannot find any trace of the file on my Windows XP. I had A blank DVD in the laptop but nothing!
How do I find this file to burn it? I am using "Express Burn".

pfeiffep
April 26th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. I have read the recommendations. However, I downloaded the 32-bit version of Kubuntu 14.04 again, after it was finished, the dialog box disappeared and I still cannot find any trace of the file on my Windows XP. I had A blank DVD in the laptop but nothing!
How do I find this file to burn it? I am using "Express Burn".

You should be able to use Windows XP file explorer to search for any file with iso extension ( *.iso)
Once you find the iso choose iso burner... copied this snip from NCH site ISO burner will record ISO images to disc

You'll need to reboot your machine - be certain to choose the dvd you've just burned.
You can choose to try Ubuntu without installing - I strongly suggest that you do that prior to installing. If you find during the try session that your computer is working the way you expected you can choose to install during the trial session.

SeijiSensei
April 26th, 2014, 05:21 PM
If you're using Firefox, you should see the file in the Downloads folder in your home. I think Internet Explorer does the same, but you're not using that, right?

Robin_Perrett
April 27th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I don't know of any Windows File Explorer on Windows XP, maybe you're thinking of Win8. There is a 'Search' facility which turned up dozens of .iso files, but not the one I want. The one I need is: i386.iso. I opened Windows Explorer and looked right through that, but still couldn't find it. The title of the Kubuntu 14.04 file is: .Kubuntu 14.04- desktop -i386.iso from d3g7pb956c5s5x. cloudfront.net.

deadflowr
April 27th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Unless you've altered from the defaults, it's in My Downloads.

pfeiffep
April 27th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I don't know of any Windows File Explorer on Windows XP, maybe you're thinking of Win8. There is a 'Search' facility which turned up dozens of .iso files, but not the one I want. The one I need is: i386.iso. I opened Windows Explorer and looked right through that, but still couldn't find it. The title of the Kubuntu 14.04 file is: .Kubuntu 14.04- desktop -i386.iso from d3g7pb956c5s5x. cloudfront.net.My mistake about the Windows File Explorer. I do suggest using the Kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu) site for you download kubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso

deadflowr

Unless you've altered from the defaults, it's in My Downloads.

Robin_Perrett
May 1st, 2014, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I finally had to just about open every file in Windows Explorer, and found the Kubuntu .iso file in "Downloads" as you suggested 'deadflower'. The exact string was: C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\Downloads. I then had real trouble trying to burn a disk with 'freeisoburner.com'. It kept giving me a 'Hardware error no. 9216'. So I switched to another burner outfit and that one did the trick. I stuck the dvd in, and re-started my laptop. I had some problems figuring out what to do, and at the moment my screen is black with kubuntu in the center with its trademark and underneath: Booting system without full network configuration'....
Do I just wait now?
Thanks for your help!