PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu Server onto Thecus N5200

raoul3
April 23rd, 2014, 03:03 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu onto a Thecus N5200 (not pro) NAS device.

I was roughly following the guide halfway down the page at http://thecususergroup.proboards.com/thread/3992.

However I was hoping that I could just install Ubuntu directly onto the hard drives rather than onto a DOM. Preferably after creating a RAID during install. So I initially removed the original DOM and installed 1 Hard Drive. I booted from ubuntu on USB. However during the install process I can only see the USB. I can not see the Hard Drive.

Sorry I am not in front of the unit at the moment so off the top of my head during the Detect Drives process it detected MDAM Raid devices. Asked Id I wanted to install/activate them. I answered Yes. Then It said it detected Serial ATA devices and asked if I wanted to install/activate them. I said yes. (i also tried No/Yes and Yes/No). But even though it would give me the option of creating RAID it would only do so using the USB stick. No HDD were visibile.

Is it going to be possible to install directly onto the Hard Drive/s? Or do I need to install onto the USB or DOM first.

Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ral