PDA

View Full Version : Installing 12.04 with CD failure

Laurence WM
April 22nd, 2014, 02:25 PM
I have downloaded 12.04 on to a CD. I inserted the CD into my Dell PC (at least four years old, currently with Windows XP installed). I turned it on; pressed f12 for booting options; selected the 'onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive' option, got the message 'selected boot device not available'; could progress no further.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
WM

howefield
April 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Given that you haven't stated otherwise, the first question would be the obvious one, have you burned the downloaded image to a DVD correctly, and not simply copied the iso to the disc ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Laurence WM
April 23rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
^Thanks a lot, howefield. I appreciate your advice.

Hovering over what I have downloaded (within My computer on XP) produces the info:

ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-i386.iso.part
Type: PART File
Size: 381 MB

Have I downloaded the right thing?

Is it relevant that I am using a CD, as my PC doesn't do DVDs?

Cheers,
WM

Mark Phelps
April 23rd, 2014, 02:00 PM
From what I recall, the full 12.04 ISO file is too large to fit on a CD. Also, the "part" on the end of the file indicates that this is only a portion of the enter file -- broken into parts that must be joined to create the full file. And finally, you must have copied this file to a CD, since you don't have the full ISO file.

Sorry, but you have to use a DVD and then, not copy the ISO file to the DVD, but "burn" it to the DVD. You could also use unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick, if you don't have a DVD burner -- but you'll need the entire file, not just part of it.

Laurence WM
April 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks Mark. That's very helpful indeed, if not encouraging.

I've also tried unsuccessfully with a USB stick - that's another story.

Cheers,
WM