PDA

View Full Version : Your feelings on Ambiance theme?

Jordan_Cameron
April 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
Just curious on other's opinions. I personally find the ambiance theme to be old and outdated. I usually install Numix themes instead. What about you guys? Do you find ambiance old/boring, and if so what other theme do you usually use?

Just curious what other's think.

Linuxratty
April 22nd, 2014, 01:47 PM
Just curious on other's opinions. I personally find the ambiance theme to be old and outdated. I usually install Numix themes instead. What about you guys? Do you find ambiance old/boring, and if so what other theme do you usually use?

Just curious what other's think.

I find any black theme dull and boring.

nns2006
April 22nd, 2014, 01:54 PM
I find any black theme dull and boring.

:D First thing I do is to change ambiance to radiance.

blackbird34
April 22nd, 2014, 10:36 PM
It has the advantage of being consistent everywhere... contrary to a lot of the others. I like the Zoncolor theme packs, especially with Xfce, but opening Thunderbird makes me reconsider every time, it looks horrible with a lot of them. And i'm not sure if I want to spend a night working out the minutiae of how theme packs work :D

sffvba[e0rt
April 23rd, 2014, 08:17 AM
The Ubuntu theming is part of what makes it so easily identifiable in the wild.

buzzingrobot
April 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM
The initial display on first boot after an install could do with some new clothes. It's looking a bit long in the tooth.

I'm partial to blue, grey and white, so a third variation, in addition to Radiance, using those colors would please me.

If you position the top of an Ambiance window directly against the panel, it is very difficult to distinguish panel from window top.

deadflowr
April 23rd, 2014, 07:21 PM
I think Ambiance looks good with the default purple terminal, and very little else.
It is nice to change it to radiance, and the fact that radiance is included in the available selections from the theme selector in system settings>appearance, means I don't have to install a tweak tool to do it.
I install tweak tools for other things.

Copper Bezel
April 23rd, 2014, 07:40 PM
I'm using a modified version of something out of the Mediterranean set - it's very similar to Elementary, which is of course quite Macish, though with its own little flourishes. I understand why Ubuntu went the direction it did, and the theme is definitely a part of the project's visual identity. I can't really stand using it myself. It's dark, heavy, and a little garish, the buttons feel too much like the inflatable-looking ones of Windows XP, and titlebars don't blend with toolbars or background frames in some apps (generally GTK2 ones.) That's true even in Radiance, which is at least lighter, but still has the contrast of the champagne against the silver, which is almost a bit clashy. I also don't like the buttons and controls, which feel overworked or something.

I'm periodically tempted to recolor my theme, but there's something very attractive and yet transparent about neutral light grays. I do have to give Ambience some credit for not using the ever-popular true blue for a select color, though. (I use eggplant, myself.)

Frogs Hair
April 23rd, 2014, 11:17 PM
I enjoyed Ambiance when it was introduced (10.04) and still use radiance occasionally.

mastablasta
April 24th, 2014, 07:41 AM
both are very nice.

i also like default opensuse kde theme. beautiful. i just don't understand why they always have some unnecessary bugs in their live cd.