PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Launch settings directly from Whisker menu

otoh
April 22nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Using Xubuntu 14.04 here - Whisker menu works well, but ideally I'd like to be able to launch settings directly via keyboard. Eg if I want to look at my printers, rather than:

WhiskerMenu > 'settings' > then click Printers
I'd like to:
WhiskerMenu > 'printers'

I sort of achieved this by using the Menu editor and removing Settings:Settings from the Printers application. But when I tried it with the Desktop settings, it worked as expected on Whisker menu, but removed it from the settings dialog.

So in short, I'm missing the logic that:

Whisker menu uses to determine which items to show/hide;
The System settings dialog uses to determine which items to include in itself.

Any ideas?

Jordan_Cameron
April 22nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Have you tried just searching for "Printers"? If I recall correctly, whiskers menu has a search feature, and xfce settings are "module" like things, instead of all being embedded into an app. So if you search for printers, does it come up?

lucast
April 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
I have a similar issue. I would like to display things like the 'System Updater' in the Whisker Menu, under system. But when I edit the menu using the MenuLibre and change the categories I can either have it displaying in the Whisker Menu or System Settings, but not both.

I guess I could create a second entry for each item I want but that seems a little stupid.

otoh
April 23rd, 2014, 04:26 PM
Have you tried just searching for "Printers"? If I recall correctly, whiskers menu has a search feature, and xfce settings are "module" like things, instead of all being embedded into an app. So if you search for printers, does it come up?

Yes - by default, Printers does not show up in the menu - as you say, it is an app so should get found but Whisker menu seems to specifically exclude items that appear in the settings dialog - requiring you to go via settings to get to it.

otoh
April 23rd, 2014, 04:47 PM
I have a similar issue. I would like to display things like the 'System Updater' in the Whisker Menu, under system. But when I edit the menu using the MenuLibre and change the categories I can either have it displaying in the Whisker Menu or System Settings, but not both.

I guess I could create a second entry for each item I want but that seems a little stupid.

Aha, so it's not just me! I tried to figure it out but I still can't. I had success with Printers - removed Settings:Settings and it shows in both contexts. Then I tried another, Passwords - I installed seahorse and it goes into settings but not into WM. Then I mucked about with the .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications - I made seahorse.desktop exactly the same as system-config-printer.desktop (apart from name/executable/comment)... and it then shows in WM but not in Settings.

Like you, not sure I can be bothered to create duplicates... but do let me know if you figure it out :)

Dennis N
April 23rd, 2014, 05:15 PM
So in short, I'm missing the logic that:

Whisker menu uses to determine which items to show/hide;
The System settings dialog uses to determine which items to include in itself.

As I understand it, the System Settings window is part of the same single menu structure (like a separate category) except it is configured to display in a separate window. An item can only appear once in the entire menu (including the settings window).

The menu conforms to these rules:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html